Firefox 93.0 is now rolling out to the Release channel. This update was released on October 5, 2021.
Firefox 93.0 uses “significantly” less bandwidth when you browse websites in comparison to previous versions of the browser. The Firefox PDF viewer adds support for XFA-based forms which are the type of forms many banks and government departments use. There is also a new feature that prevents session data loss for macOS users who are browsing with Firefox from a mounted .dmg file.
The full changelog provided by Firefox:
- Firefox now supports the new AVIF image format, which is based on the modern and royalty free AV1 video codec. It offers significant bandwidth savings for sites compared to existing image formats. It also supports transparency and other advanced features.
- Firefox PDF viewer now supports filling more forms (XFA-based forms, used by multiple governments and banks).
- When available system memory is critically low, Firefox on Windows will automatically unload tabs based on their last access time, memory usage, and other attributes. This should help reduce Firefox out-of-memory crashes. Switching to an unloaded tab automatically reloads it.
- To prevent session loss for macOS users who are running Firefox from a mounted .dmg file, they’ll now be prompted to finish installation. This permission prompt only appears the first time these users run Firefox on their computer.
- Firefox now blocks downloads that rely on insecure connections, protecting against potentially malicious or unsafe downloads
- Improved web compatibility for privacy protections with SmartBlock 3.0.
- Introducing a new referrer tracking protection in Strict Tracking Protection and Private Browsing.
- Introducing Firefox Suggest, a faster way to navigate the web.
To update Firefox, open the browser and then head to Help > About Firefox, and then the browser will automatically check if any updates are yet to be installed.
- Firefox 92.0.1 Solves Audio Playback and Findbar Close Button Issues and More
- Firefox 91.0.2 Fixes High Contrast Mode Being Enabled When ‘Increase Contrast’ Is Checked
- Firefox 90.0.2 Fixes Menu Inconsistencies and More
- Firefox 92.0 Automatically Upgrades to HTTPS and More
- Firefox 90.0 Adds ‘about:third-party’ Page to Check for App Compatibility Issues
- Firefox 89.0.1 Solves Screen Reader Problems, More
- Firefox 89.0 Brings Floating Tabs with Extra Information When You Need It
- Firefox 88.0.1 Includes Fix for Widevine Plugin