The Edge browser has been updated to build 93.0.957.0. This update was released to the Dev channel on July 21, 2021.
Build 93.0.957.0 comes with the ability to change icons for PWAs (Progressive Web Apps) or websites installed as apps.
You can install PWAs when you see the option available at the top of a browser to do so, but this is only for the sites that offer it. If you want to install a website as an app, you can do that from Edge’s settings menu by heading to Settings > Apps and then clicking on Install this site as an app.
Features added to build 93.0.957.0:
- Added the ability to change the icon for PWAs or websites installed as apps when they’re installed.
- Added management policies (administrative templates and documentation to come):
- Added a management policy to control if OneAuth Authentication is Enforced.
- Added a management policy to control Printing a Webpage Layout.
- Added a management policy to set an Autoplay Allowlist.
- Added a management policy to give or take away Feature Flag Overrides Control.
- Added a management policy on Mac to control if MAU is Enabled, which controls if updates occur through Microsoft AutoUpdate.
Improved reliability for build 93.0.957.0:
- Fixed an issue where the browser doesn’t open.
- Fixed an issue on Linux where the browser doesn’t open.
- Fixed a crash when typing into the address bar.
- Fixed a crash when closing a window.
- Fixed a crash when spellcheck is enabled.
- Fixed a crash on startup when certain extensions are installed.
- Fixed a crash when closing certain popups.
- Fixed a crash when playing certain videos.
- Fixed an issue where PWAs can’t be installed or repaired.
- Fixed a crash on Mac when syncing Collections.
- Fixed an issue where pressing F6 sometimes crashes the browser.
- Fixed a hang when closing the browser.
- Fixed an issue where the browser sometimes can’t be uninstalled and gives an error saying to close all windows and try again.
Changed behavior for build 93.0.957.0:
- Fixed an issue where certain videos don’t have any sound.
- Fixed an issue where websites pinned to the Taskbar sometimes unexpectedly disappear.
- Fixed an issue on Linux where the Password Settings page is blank.
- Fixed an issue where certain AV1 or HEVC videos don’t play.
- Fixed an issue on Linux where tabs sometimes disappear visually from the tab band.
- Fixed an issue where the cookie exceptions list in the delete browsing data settings sometimes doesn’t remember changes.
- Fixed an issue where the PDF viewer sometimes reports being on a different page than it actually is.
- Fixed an issue where the button to set the Default browser in Settings doesn’t work.
- Fixed an issue where the management policy to import browsing data sometimes misses data.
- Fixed an issue where dragging an image into a Collection sometimes fails.
- Fixed an issue where the arrow keys sometimes can’t be used to move the cursor when editing a text note in a Collection.
- Fixed an issue where empty text notes sometimes crash the Collections pane.
- Fixed an issue where the Collections pane sometimes doesn’t fully load.
- Fixed an issue where profiles sometimes say Not Syncing when it’s not expected that there should be any message.
- Fixed an issue where the site information popup sometimes doesn’t open properly.
- Fixed an issue where the option to open a downloaded PDF in the system viewer doesn’t work.
- Fixed an issue where password health and leak alerts sometimes don’t appear in Settings.
- Fixed an issue where pages sometimes don’t get translated when it’s expected that they should be.
- Fixed an issue where context menu options on certain popups don’t work.
- Fixed an issue where deleting a profile sometimes unexpectedly opens a Kids Mode window.
- Fixed an issue where autofill popups sometimes don’t appear if the text in the textbox has a misspelling that triggers the spellcheck popup.
- Fixed an issue in WebView2 where files with certain names sometimes fail to download.
- Fixed an issue in WebView2 where microphones sometimes can’t be used because permission requests are never shown.
- Fixed an issue where PDFs that should have Information Protection applied to them don’t.
- Fixed an issue where browser windows sometimes open unexpectedly if extensions are installed.
Windows is already aware of many known issues that are sure to be solved before the neext update is released.
The Edge browser will automatically update itself the next time you close the browser window. However, if your browser is open, you can head to Settings > Help and Feedback > About Microsoft Edge, and then the browser will automatically check for new updates and apply them.
- Edge 92.0.902.55 Brings Security Updates for Chromium
- Edge 93.0.946.0 Adds Windows 11 Visual Updates to Change Menu Fonts
- Edge 93.0.933.1 Changes Browser to Show Tab Groups by Default
- Edge 91.0.864.67 Patches Elevation of Privilege Vulnerability
- Edge 91.0.864.59 Brings Security Updates
- Edge 93.0.926.0 Improves Battery Efficiency with Dark Theme Controls and Efficiency Mode