When a custom recovery becomes available for a phone, it opens doors for the users to gain root on their phones. It’s the case with the Sony Xperia Z3 Plus.
The TWRP Recovery is available for the aforementioned phone and you can boot into this recovery and flash SuperSU to get your phone rooted. Unfortunately, the custom recovery cannot be flashed, yet, so you can just boot into it and flash SuperSU to obtain root. However, a permanent flashable custom recovery should not be too far as root is already available for the phone.
Here’s how to root your Sony Xperia Z3 Plus using TWRP Recovery:
Files You Need
- The bootloader on your phone must be unlocked before you can do this tutorial. If your bootloader is locked, please head over to the Sony Bootloader website and get your bootloader unlocked first. Then, come back here and continue.
- You need a Windows running computer in order to do this tutorial.
- You should have Universal ADB drivers installed on your Windows computer. If they are not installed, install them first or your computer will not be able to recognize your phone.
- This should first boot your phone into recovery mode and then flash SuperSU to obtain root access.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It will help you issue commands to your phone.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. It is the custom recovery that you will boot into.
- Download SuperSU to your computer. It will help you gain root access on your phone.
- This should only work for the E6553 variant of the phone.
Rooting the Sony Xperia Z3 Plus Using a Custom Recovery
- Extract files from Fastboot over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- On your phone, head to Menu->Settings->About phone and tap on Build number for 8 times to unlock the developer menu.
- Open Menu->Settings->Developer options on your phone and turn on USB debugging.
- Connect your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Copy SuperSU .zip from your computer over to the internal SD card storage on your phone. Place it on the top so you can easily find it at a later time.
- Open a command prompt window in the folder where fastboot.exe is located. To do that, open the folder containing fastboot files, hold down Shift on your keyboard and right-click on the screen and select Open command window here.
- Type in the following command into the command prompt window and press Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- It should reboot your phone into bootloader mode. That is where you can boot your phone into a custom recovery mode.
- When your phone enters the bootloader mode, issue the following command using command prompt window:
fastboot boot recovery.img
- Your phone should boot into TWRP Recovery mode. Now you can flash SuperSU to root your phone.
- Tap on Install in the TWRP Recovery menu. It should let you install a flashable zip on your phone.
- Navigate to your internal storage and select SuperSU .zip to be installed on your phone.
- Confirm the action by tapping Swipe to Confirm Flash on your phone.
- Wait for TWRP to flash SuperSU on your phone. It should not take too long.
- When TWRP’s done flashing SuperSU, reboot your phone by selecting Reboot followed by System.
- Your phone should reboot into normal mode.
- Your phone is now rooted!
And you did it.
You have successfully rooted your Sony Xperia Z3 Plus smartphone, and you can use the SuperSU app on your phone to provide root permissions to various apps.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Root BLU Studio G On Android 5.0
- How To Root Huawei MediaPad X2 On Android 5.0
- How To Unlock Bootloader On Huawei MediaPad X2
- How To Root Huawei Honor 7
- How To Install Custom Recovery On Huawei Honor 7
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.