Micromax’s A50 Ninja is a nifty little device which allows users to enjoy the perks of having a personal voice assistant without burning a hole in your pocket. This smartphone which now runs on Androids Gingerbread comes with AISHA, androids answer to Siri and is available for a low $95. Those of you who own this stylish little device will be happy to hear there is a root method available for it thanks to the team at XDA Developers and in particular one that does by the name ofkrank_fraud. We have the step by step guide below to help you along your way to root freedom.
Check our list of essentials after the jump for the ninja smartphone before starting the guide so you know everything you need.
Details of Note
- You have at least 40% charge on your device. You don’t want the Ninja phone turning off because of battery power until after the flashing finishes. Turning off during the steps can brick the device.
- Speaking of bricking: there’s two types of bricking a smartphone or Android tablet can do. The first is soft-bricking and the second is hard-bricking. Most cases are soft-bricks which can be fixed but you want to avoid having to find out how that’s done. We don’t cover that guide here.
- You are using a PC running Windows. The following files you are applying to your Micromax reportedly only work for the Windows operating system. that means don’t install these files on Mac OS X or Linux.
- Make sure you enable the USB Debugging Mode before starting the guide. You find that mode coming from the Developer Options menu from the Settings. Those without the developer options must unlock it from the About Device menu where you must tap the build number seven times.
Steps for rooting the Micromax A50 Ninja on Gingerbread
- First you need to download the following files:
- SP Flash Tool v2.1134.00.7z
- MT65x3 USB VCOM drivers.7z
- Once you have completed downloading the files you will need to unzip themt65x3 usb vcom drivers.7z file and make sure you have installed the drivers.
- Now unzip the SP Flash Tool v2.1134.00.7z into a new folder somewhere easy to find such as your desktop.
- In that same folder, place the Boot.img and MT6573_Android_scatter.txt files.
- Once done, open the folder and locate Flash_tool.exe. Right click on it and select‘Run as Administrator’.
- From the new window select ‘File’ > ‘Open Scatter File’. LocateMT6573_Android_scatter.txt from the pop up window and open. Confirm any pop-ups by clicking on ‘OK’. If you get an error message you can go a head and ignore it.
- A list of files will populate in the window. Ensure only BOOTIMG is checked. From the Flash tool, open BOOTIMG then select and open the boot.img file.
- From here you will need to make sure USB mode is enabled, you can achieve this heading to ‘Options’ from within the Flash Tool.
- OK on to flashing your device, you will need to switch off your device, remove the back cover and take out the battery.
- Re insert the battery but DO NOT turn it on, you will need to connect it to your PC via USB. At this stage Windows will find drivers and should be busy installing them. Once complete you can disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Once again, remove the back cover of the device, take out the battery and then re insert it. DO NOT turn your device on.
- Select ‘Download’ from the Flash tool window, a message will populate giving you 14 seconds to re connect your device to the PC via USB. If for whatever reason you aren’t able to connect it in time, you will just need to go back select ‘Download’ again from the Flash tool window.
- Wait while flashing takes place, you can watch the progress bar to keep track of how long you have left. A message saying ‘BOOTIMG downloaded’ should pop up once complete.
- Disconnect your device from your PC, remove the back and the battery, re insert it and switch it on normally.
- Once it has FULLY loaded you will need to enable USB debugging before re connecting it to your PC via USB. To achieve this go to ‘Menu’ > ‘Settings’ > ‘Applications’ > ‘Development’ > ‘USB Debugging’.
- Now we need to install USB ADB Drivers. To do this you will need to unzip theusb_drivers.zip file you downloaded in step 1.
- You need to open the ‘Device Manager’ and right-click on ‘Micomaz A50’ then ‘Update Driver Software’.
- A new window will populate, select ‘Browse my computer for driver software’ > ‘Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer’ > ‘Have disk’.
- Again a new window will open, from this one select ‘Browse’ then navigate to the folder containing your unzipped files from step 2. Locate the usb_driver file and open it.
- From within this file select ‘android_winusb.inf’ > ‘Open’ > ‘OK’. You will see a warning appear, just click ‘OK’.
- You will be presented with a few options, you need to select the ‘Android ADB Interface’ option followed by ‘Next’. You will see another warning message appear. Just click ‘Yes’.
- Finally you will get a message saying ‘Would you like to install this device software’. Select the ‘Install’ button.
- Once complete we can move onto rooting. Unzip then install theunlockroot23.zip/.exe. Once installed you will need to run it.
- Click on ‘ROOT’ from the Unlockroot window, this will begin the rooting process.
- Once done you will be instructed to restart your device. When your device has booted back up you should be able to see the Superuser Application within your Apps draw.
It’s a good idea to install the Busybox app to avoid some issues with programs not recognizing the root.
You might also like to read our root checker post which exposes our favorite root checker application at the Google Play Store. The root checker app is also great for checking your device is successfully unrooted if you wish to return back to stock Android later. You can do that by flashing official software update manually in most cases. Otherwise, try installing the unroot pro app from Google Play.
You might also be interested in:
- iNoRotate Stops iPhone from Switching Between Portrait and Landscape Modes
- How to Root Motorola CLIQ 2
- iPhone 3G 4.2.1 Custom Firmware Update without Baseband
- iPhone 5 HD Wallpapers That Are Stunning