One of the great things about the Android operating system, and that separates it from its competition, is that it doesn’t mind if you hack it, for ethical reasons, and install different ROMs and kernels.
The upside that ethical hacking of Android brings to the table means that you can now find a ROM to use that better suits your needs. To think that one operating system is going to be ideal for everyone around the world just isn’t really achievable, and custom ROMs often come with different layouts, designs, and features so you don’t have to use whatever Android is doing at the moment with their one, universal, operating system.
There are a couple of ways you can go about getting a custom ROM installed. If you rooted your device with a one-click rooting tool such as KingRoot, then that would then allow you to install root applications that have already done the hard work for you, found out what ROMs are available for your device and offer a way to get it flashed. The other way is to flash them from a custom recovery image.
TWRP Recovery is the custom recovery image that you want to get installed: it’s the only custom recovery image that is currently being developed, and it’ll probably stay that way for the foreseeable future as the competition that used to be there packed up and walked away after TWRP arrived with better features.
This is what you need to get TWRP Recovery installed on the Huawei G510 smartphone.
Details We Should Know
- The custom recovery images available in this guide are only to be installed on the Huawei G510 smartphone. Most devices have a custom recovery image developed specifically for it, and you shouldn’t install one that is intended for another device unless advised it is okay by a professional.
- You can follow this guide on any of the major three computer operating systems: Windows, Mac, and Linux. You just need to download the right platform-tools file from the Android SDK package when you’re on the Android website, which is walked through during the guide below.
Files We Need
- Download on your computer the latest version of TWRP Recovery: Primary (Americas) | Primary (Europe).
- Download on your computer the universal ADB drivers.
- Download on your computer the platform-tools from the Android SDK.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Huawei G510 Smartphones
1. Make sure you’ve installed the universal ADB drivers on the computer. That will make it possible for you to use adb commands as well as the Huawei G510 smartphone. If you can’t get the Huawei G510 smartphone connected to the computer, then you can also download the Huawei USB drivers instead so the computer has both the ADB drivers and Huawei drivers installed . . . you then can’t go wrong.
2. You need to have the platform-tools part of the Android SDK on your computer. From the download link scroll down until you get to the command line tools section and then download the package that is made for your operating system.
3. Once you have the SDK Manager on your computer, check the box only for the platform-tools, so you end up with the adb and fastboot binaries installed on the computer. (You could also install the drivers from there as well if you wanted.)
4. Pick up the Huawei G510 smartphone and navigate to the Settings > About and tap your finger over the build number at least seven times so that the Developer Options menu becomes unlocked. Then go back to the Settings, enter the Developer Options menu and then enable the USB debugging mode.
5. Connect the Huawei G510 smartphone to the computer by using the USB cable that it comes with.
6. Now on the computer open the Command Prompt and type the
adb reboot bootloader command and hit “Enter” on your keyboard to get the Huawei G510 smartphone into the bootloader mode and ready for the flashing.
7. Make sure you have copied the TWRP image file to the same folder as the adb and fastboot binaries. Also when you’re there, change the name of the TWRP to “twrp.img” by right-clicking the mouse pointer on it and selecting the “rename” option from the menu.
8. From the command line type the
fastboot flash recovery twrp.imgcommand and hit “Enter” on your keyboard to flash the custom recovery.
9. Lastly type the
fastboot reboot command and as soon as the Huawei Y300 smartphone reboots, hold down the key combination to boot directly into the recovery mode. (If you don’t sometimes the stock recovery will wipe over the custom recovery you just installed.)
The custom recovery image for the Huawei G510 smartphone is now installed, and you are ready to boot into recovery mode and start flashing the custom ROM or rooting zip files.
You might also be interested in: