Since the dawn of Android, third-party developers not affiliated with Google in any way have tried to take advantage of the open source nature of the operating system. These days there are millions of people around the world who are interested in using what they had eventually come up with.
The Android operating system can be swapped for a different ROM. These are called custom ROMs. A custom ROM can have a completely new feel and look to it compared to the stock version of Android. It can also have entirely different features too, or perhaps just a few different ones that Android didn’t include.
There are also hundreds of applications that won’t run on the Android operating system the way you get it out of the box, but if you were to get root access then they could be used. Using the Android operating system with root access is the same thing as using your desktop operating system with the administrator’s account. Without using Android as an admin, there is no way for these other applications to run because they lack the necessary permissions.
You can start installing custom ROMs and get root access directly from a custom recovery image, thanks to its ability to have the unsigned zip files flashed. The recovery image that comes with Android by default can only flash signed zip files, thus nothing but official versions of Android could be flashed with the stock recovery.
This is what you need to install TWRP Recovery on the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 smartphones.
Details We Should Know
- The custom recovery images available in this guide are only to be installed on the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 smartphone. Most devices have a custom recovery image developed specifically for it, and you shouldn’t install one that is intended for another device unless advised it is okay by a professional.
- You can follow this guide on any of the major three computer operating systems: Windows, Mac, and Linux. You just need to download the right platform-tools file from the Android SDK package when you’re on the Android website, which is walked through during the guide below.
Files We Need
- Download on your computer the latest version of TWRP Recovery: Primary (Americas) | Primary (Europe).
- Download on your computer the universal ADB drivers.
- Download on your computer the platform-tools from the Android SDK.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Huawei Ascend Mate 2 Smartphones
1. Make sure you’ve installed the universal ADB driver on the computer. That will make it possible for you to use adb commands as well as the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 smartphone. If you can’t get the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 smartphone connected to the computer, then you can also download the Huawei USB drivers instead so the computer has both the ADB drivers and Huawei drivers installed . . . you then can’t go wrong.
2. You need to have the platform-tools part of the Android SDK on your computer. From the download link scroll down until you get to the command line tools section and then download the package that is made for your operating system.
3. Once you have the SDK Manager on your computer, check the box only for the platform-tools, so you end up with the adb and fastboot binaries installed on the computer. (You could also install the drivers from there as well if you wanted.)
4. Pick up the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 smartphone and navigate to the Settings > About and tap your finger over the build number at least seven times so that the Developer Options menu becomes unlocked. Then go back to the Settings, enter the Developer Options menu and then enable the USB debugging mode.
5. Connect the Huawei Y300 smartphone to the computer by using the USB cable that it comes with.
6. Now on the computer open the Command Prompt and type the
adb reboot bootloader command and hit “Enter” on your keyboard to get the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 smartphone into the bootloader mode and ready for the flashing.
7. Make sure you have copied the TWRP image file to the same folder as the adb and fastboot binaries. Also when you’re there, change the name of the TWRP to “twrp.img” by right-clicking the mouse pointer on it and selecting the “rename” option from the menu.
8. From the command line type the
fastboot flash recovery twrp.imgcommand and hit “Enter” on your keyboard to flash the custom recovery.
9. Lastly type the
fastboot reboot command and as soon as the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 smartphone reboots, hold down the key combination to boot directly into the recovery mode. (If you don’t sometimes the stock recovery will wipe over the custom recovery you just installed.)
The custom recovery image for the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 smartphone is now installed, and you are ready to boot into recovery mode and start flashing the custom ROM or rooting zip files.
You might also be interested in: