Unlocking the bootloader on the HTC 10 smartphone is the step you all need to take before you can do things like installing a custom recovery and root the device without bricking it in the process. Some devices need to get the bootloader unlocked and some devices do not. It just depends on who your manufacturer is and what the rooting method is for that device. We frequently write up rooting guides and custom recovery guides for Samsung devices using some of Chainfires tools and some of the custom recovery images taken from the official TWRP site, and none of those devices usually need to get the bootloader unlocked before doing those things. With the HTC 10, however, things are a little different, but the result will be the same, and you will get the same SuperSU app installed on your device.
Here is everything you need to unlock the bootloader on the HTC 10 smartphone so you can start thinking about installing a custom recovery like TWRP and then root the device using the SuperSU application by Chainfire.
Files You Need
- Download the Fastboot files you need for the HTC 10 on the computer from here.
- You will need to point to the HTC Developers website during the guide from here.
- You will also need the HTC USB drivers running on the computer before you start the guide.
Note that the following guide is intended for use on a computer that is running a version of Windows operating systems.
The following guide is made for the HTC 10 only. The same steps might work for other devices, but you should probably find a unique guide just in case things are different. We do not necessarily recommend you follow this guide for any other device.
How to Unlock HTC 10 Bootloader
- Point your web browser on the computer to the HTC Developers website given in the files section above.
- Click on the button that says Register from the main page and create a new account if you do not have one already. For everyone else, it’s time to sign in to your account.
- Open the email you used to sign up and then click the link to active the new account if you are one of the people who created a new account.
- From the main website page, click the button that says “unlock bootloader.”
- Click the drop-down menu and then click the “All Other Supported Models” option from the list.
- Click on the “Begin Unlock Bootloader” button.
- Turn off the HTC 10 smartphone and then hold the hardware button combination for the bootloader mode and then connect the smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Download the Fastboot files from the files section above directly to the computer and then extract them to the C://Drive.
- From the Windows operating system on the computer, click the Start button and type ‘CMD’ in the search field.
- Type the first command ““cd c:\fastboot” and hit the Enter key on the keyboard.
- Type the next command to get the unlock token ““fastboot oem get_identifier_token.”
- Point your browser to the HTC Developer bootloader unlock instructions and enter the code string that you got from the command line. (You will need to join the two lines of digits from the command line together so there and no gaps and use that as your unlock code. The first line of figures goes first and the second line of digits joins to the end of the first line.)
In conclusion, that is everything you need to unlock the HTC 10 smartphone bootloader so you can start customizing your device with a custom recovery and then move on to bigger and better things by rooting the device.
You might also be interested in:
- How to Unlock Bootloader on OnePlus 3T Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei P9 Plus Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Sony Xperia X Performance Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Motorola Moto G4 Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on LeEco Le 1S LeX507 Smartphones
You can subscribe to our RSS, follow us on Twitter or like our Facebook page to keep on consuming more tech.