These are the guidelines to flash a custom recovery on the Redmi Note smartphone by Chinese phone maker, Xiaomi. The custom recovery you are installing during this guide is the official TWRP Recovery and comes as part of the WinDroid Toolkit. The WinDroid universal Android Toolkit works like a charm for unlocking the bootloader, flashing a custom recovery and rooting many devices, one of which is the Redmi Note.
Files You Need
- Download the WinDroid Toolkit for your Note by Xiaomi directly to the computer.
- You must unlock the Redmi Note’s bootloader before you can use this guide to flash a new recovery on the device. Do not attempt to install a new recovery with the bootloader locked.
- Flashing TWRP Recovery on your Redmi Note smartphone will void the Xiaomi warranty. You can always get the warranty working again by opening the same toolkit and unroot your device. You’ll also need to click on the option for flashing a stock recovery and re-locking the bootloader.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Xiaomi Redmi Note
- Download the WinDroid toolkit to your computer and shift it over to the desktop. Those of you with a Windows PC will find it ends up in the downloads folder by default. Open the downloads folder and drag the file over to the desktop.
- Once you have it on the desktop, you must extract and unzip the file so you can use it.
- Do that not by right-clicking over the file and selecting the option from the menu that says “extract here”.
- Double-click the mouse over the WinDroid toolkit and get it to open on your computer.
- Connect the Redmi Note to the computer with the USB cable you would normally use to charge the battery.
- Click the button that says to “Flash TWRP” and the custom recovery will get installed on your device.
Reboot your smartphone by Xiaomi before you go to boot the device up in the custom recovery mode. You should find the same hardware buttons to enter the stock recovery mode will work for the custom version. Alternatively, you can install the Quick Boot app from the Google Play Store if you want to get your device into the recovery mode using an application.
You might be interested in learning how to root the Xiaomi Redmi Note smartphone without using the WinDroid toolkit if you want to try something different.