Oh Sammy, your phones are just too easy to root. You bought the latest Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and the talented developers brought a custom recovery for it which ultimately leads to root-access. If you happen to have purchased this shiny new gadget from Samsung, you’re in luck as you do have a method to root your phone and get some really cool stuff running on it.
Flashing a custom ROM, removing the bloatware, flashing a custom kernel are just some of the abilities you get when you root your phone. If these sound cool to you and you really wish to try out these things on your phone, here’s how to install a custom recovery on your device which will then let you gain root access:
The Files You Need
- You must have a computer that runs Windows in order to do this tutorial. Any PC that runs either Windows XP, 7, or 8 should work fine.
- Make sure that Samsung USB drivers are installed on your computer. If they are not, install them first and then do the tutorial.
- This should only work for the GSM variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 5. If you have got the CDMA one, please do not try this tutorial on it.
- Download Odin to your computer. You will use it to flash the custom recovery on your device.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. Download the one with .tar as its extension. It is the custom recovery that will be flashed on your device.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy Note 5
- Extract files from Odin over to your computer by right-clicking on the Odin archive and selecting Extract here. It will extract the files from the archive and make them available for you to use.
- Double-click on Odin executable and it will launch. It is the file with .exe as its extension.
- When the Odin launches, uncheck the option that says Repartition. You would harm your device if you did not do this.
- Click on PDA in the Odin and select TWRP Recovery available on your computer. Here is where you can select a file to be flashed on your device.
- Checkmark the options that say Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time in the Odin.
- Turn off your phone.
- Turn your phone back on in download mode. You can do that by holding down Volume DOWN, Home, and Power buttons together.
- Once your phone is in download mode, connect it to your computer using a USB cable.
- Odin should detect your device and show it up in its interface.
- Click on Start in the Odin to start the flash procedure.
- Wait for the Odin to install TWRP Recovery on your phone.
- When Odin’s done installing TWRP, your phone will automatically reboot.
- And you are all set!
Your Samsung Galaxy Note 5 — the GSM variant — has been successfully equipped with a custom recovery.
Now that you have a custom recovery, head to our how to root the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 tutorial to root your phone. Root is what brings the real fun to your device, so go ahead and get your phone rooted.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Root Samsung Galaxy Note 5 On Android 5.1.1
- How To Root Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 (GT-I9152) On Android 4.2.2
- How To Install Custom Recovery On Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8
- How To Unroot Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8 (GT-I9152)
- How To Root OnePlus 2 On Android 6.0.1
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.