The Sony Xperia Z3 Compact was a hard nut to crack for developers to make a custom ROM, but a developer on XDA developers made a custom ROM for this phone with a base of CM 12.1 custom ROM. You will get all the features of CM 12.1 custom ROM, but as you know this is a nightly build so it has some bugs in it yet this ROM is suitable for everyday use, all the main features like network, cellular data, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are working seamlessly.
You need for this process is a PC with internet connection to download all the ROM and G apps zip files we have to use in this process, a USB cable, your phone rooted and a custom recovery installed (TWRP custom recovery recommended). Make sure that your phone is charged to at least 50% battery or your phone might get bricked if it goes off during the installation process.
Backup your important contacts and messages using any app from Google play store or sync the contacts to your Google account. Also backup your important data stored in your phone like media files and document files to your PC or any other external drive to keep them safe from any damage.
This installation process is only for Sony Xperia Z3 compact, do not try this on any other Android variant.
Furthermore, you must root and install a custom recovery image the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact before installing a custom ROM. You can choose between TWRP recovery or ClockworkMod recovery for the custom recovery image. The custom recovery is required over the stock recovery because you must get access to it to install the CyanogenMod ROM file. The custom recovery is also great for taking the NANDroid backup instead of using third-party Google Play apps to collect the data. The NANDroid backup takes a near mirror image of the current ROM and saves everything easily. It can even remember your saved app data so you can pick up using applications where you left off.
Steps to install CM 12.1 Nightly custom ROM on Sony Xperia Z3 Compact:
- Download CM 12.1 nightly custom ROM zip file from here and save it to your PC.
- From this page, download the proper Google Apps zip file that we have to install on your phone, Google apps is a package of all the important Google apps those comes pre-installed with Android devices.
- Plug your phone to your PC and transfer both zip files to your phone and unplug it when done.
- Now turn your phone off completely and boot it to the recovery mode. press power key and when you see notification light press volume up key repeatedly till you see recovery mode.
- In recovery first take a backup of your previous ROM, tap on “backup” and confirm.
- Now tap on “wipe” and confirm to wipe the data.
- After that, tap on “Install”, browse the phone and select the CM 12.1 ROM zip file and confirm to install.
- Repeat step 7 but this time select the G Apps zip file instead of ROM file and do not wipe anything.
- After installation come back to the main menu and tap on “Reboot” followed by “System”.
CM 12.1 has been installed to your phone and now you can do some extraordinary with your phone. Make sure that all the queries are made in the comment section provided below.