Google is making updates for its Lollipop software version faster than ever. Now Google updated its Android 5.0 Lollipop version to Lollipop 5.1.1 Lollipop. CyanogenMod is also keeping its custom ROMs updated so it makes CM 12.1 which replicates Android 5.1 Lollipop in interface and features. Today I will tell you a way to install this CM 12.1 ROM on your Galaxy S4 Mini smartphone.
Android 5.1.1 Lollipop is updated with some amazing features, in interface as well as some features also. Google made this version of android much secure of theft that means one cannot reset your phone’s lock or data without credentials even from recovery! isn’t that cool. You will also notice some animations in notification panel in this ROM.
Let me tell you a thing that your phone will lose its warranty in the process of rooting or installing custom ROM. So you can’t claim your warranty after that and you will be charged for any assistance in future.
There are preparations you have to do before installing any custom ROM to your phone. First of all you need a PC to download and transfer these files to your phone, a USB cable to connect your phone to your PC and your phone rooted and some custom recovery installed on it (TWRP recommended). Also backup all of your important data stored on your phone to any safe place so if anything wrong happens then you will be sure about your data to be safe. Also sync all of your contacts to your Google account, they will be safe there because installing this ROM on your phone will wipe all the data stored on your phone. Also make sure that your phone should have at least 70% battery before installing this ROM.
This update process is only for Samsung galaxy S4 mini with model number GT-I9190, do not try to install this ROM on any other variant or it may brick down your device.
Steps to install CM 12.1 on Galaxy S4 Mini
- First you have to download unofficial CM 12.1 custom ROM zip file from here. Also download Google Apps from here. The Google Apps contains all the Google apps like Play Store, you tube, hangout and more.
- Now connect your Galaxy S4 Mini phone to your Windows PC and transfer the two zip files to your phones SD card and unplug it when it’s done.
- Now you have to reboot your Sammy S4 phone to the Recovery Mode. For that, turn your phone off completely and turn it on by pressing the Power key, Volume Up key and the Home keys together at once.
- Once you are in the Recovery Mode, take a full backup of the previous ROM by taping on “Backup” and confirm so if any thing goes wrong you can restore your previous ROM (backup file will take about 1 GB of space in your SD card).
- Now come back to main menu and tap on “wipe” and confirm to wipe the system.
- After wiping come back to main menu and tap on “Install” then “choose zip from SD card”.
- Now browse through your phone’s SD card and select the CM 12.1 ROM zip file and confirm to install.
- After that, install the G apps in the same way you installed the ROM zip file.
- After the installation completes, you have to reboot your phone to OS mode, tap on “reboot” then “system”.
Your phone will be rebooted to the brand new Android 5.1.1 Lollipop version. Now you have to set up your device using your Google ID to personalize your phone again.