There are various reasons as to why you may want to unroot your Acer Iconia Tab 8. Maybe the tablet is not performing well because you have loaded tons of custom things on it, or maybe you just wish to get back to the stock ROM as custom things do not fascinate you anymore.
Either way, this tutorial should help you unroot your Acer Iconia Tab 8 and get it back to the stock:
Here’s what you need to do that:
Files You Need
- You should have rooted your tablet using our how to root the Acer Iconia Tab 8 tutorial.
- This should flash the stock recovery on your tablet replacing any custom recoveries you may have installed on your tablet. The reason you need the stock recovery is because the stock ROM can only be flashed through the stock recovery.
- This should erase the sensitive data stored on your tablet; so please backup everything that you will need access to later on.
- This should get your tablet back to the stock firmware.
- Download the appropriate stock ROM for your particular variant of the tablet and save it to your computer. Make sure to choose the correct ROM or you will end-up bricking your tablet.
- Download Stock Recovery and save it to your computer. It will replace the custom recovery on your tablet.
- Download Minimal Fastboot to your computer. It will be used to flash stock recovery on your tablet.
Flashing Back the Stock Recovery on the Acer Iconia Tab 8
- Plug in your tablet to your computer using a compatible USB cable.
- Enable the USB debugging on your tablet by going to Menu > Settings > Developer options and turning on the toggle for USB debugging.
- Plug in your Acer Iconia Tab 8 tablet to your computer using a compatible USB cable.
- Extract files from Fastboot over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- Extract stock recovery from the archive by right-clicking on the archive and selecting Extract here.
- Copy stock recovery over to the Fastboot folder.
- Launch a command prompt window in the Fastboot folder by opening the folder, holding down the Shift key on your keyboard and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
- Type in the following fastboot command into the command prompt window and press Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your Acer Iconia tablet should reboot into the bootloader mode.
- Next up, type in the following command and hit Enter. Make sure to replace stock.img with the actual name of the stock recovery you have downloaded.
fastboot flash recovery stock.img
- Wait for Fastboot to flash stock recovery on your tablet.
- When it’s done flashing recovery, reboot your tablet using the following command:
- Your tablet should reboot.
The custom recovery on your tablet has been successfully replaced with the stock one, and here’s how you can use the stock recovery to flash a stock ROM on your tablet:
Flashing Back the Stock ROM on the Acer Iconia Tab 8
- Connect your tablet to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- Copy stock ROM .zip from your computer over to your tablet’s storage. Place the file in the root directory so it is easily accessible.
- When stock ROM is copied, disconnect your tablet from your computer.
- Turn off your tablet using the Power button.
- Turn your tablet back on in stock recovery mode. To do that, hold down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together.
- Select Recovery from the options that appear on your screen.
- Your tablet should now be in stock recovery mode.
- Select install option in the recovery and navigate to your tablet’s storage and select stock ROM .zip that you copied earlier to be installed on your tablet.
- Confirm the prompt on the following screen.
- Wait for the stock recovery to flash stock ROM on your tablet. It should take some good time to do that as you are flashing an entire OS on your tablet.
- When stock ROM has been flashed, reboot your tablet.
- You are all done.
Your Acer Iconia Tab 8 now has stock recovery and is unrooted.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Root The European LG G5 (H850)
- How To Root The Acer Iconia Tab 8
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The European LG G5 (H850)
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Acer Iconia Tab 8
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Huawei MediaPad M2
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.