These instructions teach you how to install CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on the verizon Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone. You will need to have a custom recovery installed before you can think about uploading ROM files.
The Files You Need
- Download the CM 12.1 Snapshot ROM zip file from this page.
- Download the correct Google Gapps pack for Android 5.1 Lollipop from this page.
- The following tutorial is only made for those of you who have the Verizon variant of the Samsung Galaxy S4. Do not follow the guide if you are a subscriber to a different phone carrier network in the United States or around the world. Each device is uniquely made with a different model number. It won’t work with the wrong model number and you will potentially brick the device.
- You must have root access and a custom recovery installed to follow this guide.
- The SD card we are referring to during the guide is the internal SD card. Do not get it confused with an external SD card. The internal SD card is just referring to the standard internal memory.
Installing CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
- Download both the Snapshot CM 12.1 ROM and the Gapps pack to the desktop of a computer.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy S4 to the same computer where you have the files.
- Copy and Paste the two files (Gapps + CM 12.1 ROM) to the internal storage on the device known as the SD card.
- Unplug the Samsung Galaxy S4 from the computer.
- Reboot the S4 into the custom recovery mode.
- Once you are in the recovery mode, take a NANDroid backup of the current ROM so you have a restore point. A NANDroid takes a snapshot of the ROM and saves just about everything, including your saved game data so you can pick up where you left off.
- The next thing you need to do is wipe the current ROM. Head to the ‘wipe’ or ‘wipe data/factory reset’ option from the menu and apply the same.
- It’s advised that you clear the caches while you are there.
- Navigate to the ‘Install’ option from the menu. The wording for the ‘Install’ will vary depending on your recovery. However, they all start by saying install and are easily identifiable. Now browse the SD card and upload the Cm 12.1 Snapshot custom ROM.
- Confirm you want to install the CM 12.1 ROM.
- Go back to the ‘Install’ option and upload the Google Gapps to the SD card.
- Confirm you want to install the Google stock apps.
- Head back to the main recovery menu and choose to reboot the system.