Google recently revealed its next version of Android, Android M. The new M ROM version is mostly same as Android 5.0 Lollipop which also launched this year. It’s worth noting that this is very fast that Google launched two versions of Android in a year. Google says that this version of Android is much more secure than Android 5.0 Lollipop. There are also some user interface changes which makes it more modification-friendly. Now if you have one of the Nexus devices mentioned in the title, just take it out because we going to update it to the latest Android M developer preview version of Android.
Up until now, users know Android Lollipop as the software version to own since it comes with Android Beam, Android Runtime and not the old Dalvik system, a new Easter Egg, Material Design flowing through the UI, Material Design all through the app draw, plus a range of other features. You also get tap and go for the NFC payments, new camera updates, new security updates and still more.
Currently we know people are trying to root the newest Android M Developer Preview but Google has patched the old exploit. There are no Android M root guides out there working today that we can see which will work. Be careful when attempting a root method if you like tinkering with the OS or installing custom ROMs.
Before proceeding with the installation you should know these things:
- For this process, you need a PC, a USB cable and your Nexus device.
- You don’t need to root your phone before installing this firmware on your phone.
- Before installing Android M, your phone’s boot loader should be unlocked. And unlocking the bootloader of your phone may lead to violation of warranty terms.
- Your PC should not have any antivirus installed on it, if it have disable it during this installation process.
- This version of Android is a developer preview that means this is not a final product and may have some bugs and glitches.
- Installing Android M on your phone will wipe all the data stored on your phone so make a backup of all the data stored on your phone.
- Also backup your contacts by syncing them to your Google account, you can have them back after this installation.
- Before installing this firmware on your phone you should enable USB debugging option on your phone by going to settings > developer options > enable USB debugging option.
- Make sure that your phone should have enough battery (at least 70%) to survive this installation process to the end.
- This installation guide and firmware files provided here are only for Nexus 5, Nexus 6, Nexus 9 and Nexus player only, do not try to install it on other Nexus or android variant.
Steps to install Android M on Nexus 5, 6, 9 and Nexus Player
- First, you need to download appropriate firmware image for your phone from below links:Nexus 5 Nexus 6 Nexus 9 Nexus Player. Alternate link for each.
- Save it on your PC desktop or anywhere you can find it later.
- Now turn your phone off and boot it to Bootloader mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Volume Down and Power key together till you see Fastboot menu.
- Now connect your phone to your PC using USB cable.
- Unpack the firmware image and double-click on the “flash-all.bat” file, this will start to install this firmware on your phone.
- Wait till this firmware gets installed on your phone and gets reboot automatically.
After a while your phone will boot to the very new Android M firmware. From here you can complete the setup and take over your phone again using your Google account. Moreover, if you found any error installing this on your phone, I will be happy to help you.