We all are amazed by the LG’s new smartphone. It’s elegant and the back of it feels so nice. LG has done it’s very best with the LG G4 device. And we have done our very best too! Yes, we have tweaked with the device a lot and bring you a step by step guide on unlocking the bootloader. Isn’t that exciting?
The bootloader is vital if you want to flash custom recoveries like TWRP or CWM on the LG G4 or if you want to flash custom ROMs to it. You can also update your device on the newer firmware – including an update to Lollipop 5.0. You also install apps that improve the performance quality of the device. So, you have all the reasons to unlock the booloader on you LG G4.
Keep in mind that when you will do this procedure, it will wipe off all the data on your device. You need to back up all the important stuff like call logs, contacts, messages, photos, videos, music etc. Also check the battery of your device. If it is any less than 70% percent, charge it up to 70%. Download LG drivers for your computer. The phone may die during the procedure and you may end with a bricked device. Tech Chomps does NOT take responsibility if anything goes wrong. Do this at your own risk.
Once you are done with this procedure, the warranty of your device will be voided. That means you can’t claim if afterwards. Of course, you can lock the bootloader again to get back the warranty. One more important thing: dial *#60# to get the IEMI. We will need that later.
Unlocking the LG G4 Bootloader
- Download the Android Software Development and set up all the drivers on your computer.
- On your smartphone, go to Menu>Settings>About Phone. Tap the About Phone option seven to eight times until you get access to developers rights. Then, go to Settings> Developer Option to enable USB debugging. This is a very important step.
- Download the Fastboot file here. The downloaded files will be zipped. Unzip the files to android-sdk-windows\platform-tools. Create this particular directory if it is not already present there.
- On your device, Go to Menu > Settings>Developer Options>Enable OEM Unlock. This step is necessary.
- Go to the directory created in step 3 and open a command prompt window there.
- Connect your LG G4 device with the PC.
- Type the command “adb reboot bootloader” on ADB to enter into Fastboot/Bootloader.
- To unlock your device, you’ll need to get the device ID nad the IEMI code. We have already covered up the IEMI code.
- To get the device ID, simply type the “fastboot oem device-id” in the command prompt window.
- The code that you have obtained will be in the form of sentences. Remove the word “bootloader” in the beginning of every sentence. Also remove all the spaces to get the code in the form of a single line.
- Go to LG’s Official Unlock Bootloader page. Enter your LG accounts details if you have one. If not then sign up for one. Once you have done it, the page will ask you about the IEMI and the device ID. We already have obtained the both. Just put in the requisite information.
- Once you have done it, you’ll get an email with a file attached to it.
- Download the file. It will be the “unlock.bin” file; open it. Type the command “adb reboot bootloader” on the command prompt window opened in the directory of the “unlock.bin” file.
- Now you are in the Fastboot mode.
- Type the command “fastboot flash unlock unlock.bin” in the same directory to unlock the bootloader.
- Wait for the flashing to complete. Once done, reboot your device by typing “fastboot reboot” in the Command Prompt window
- Once the rebooting is done, your device will be ready to go!
You might also be interested in:
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Motorola Moto G 2015 Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Asus Zenfone 2 Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Oppo N3 Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on LG G4 (Europe) Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei P8 Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Motorola Moto E Smartphones
You can subscribe to our RSS, follow us on Twitter or like our Facebook page to keep on consuming more tech.