The ZTE Zmax is a smartphone that runs Android 4.4 KitKat out of the box. There are two root methods which are known as working for this device. However, one of them does not work if you are running a kernel version past mid-2014. That’s the other guide I’ll be knocking up today shortly.
Sadly, if you are running Android 5.0 Lollipop, there is no way to open up the system internals as of yet. However, you can gain root access from KitKat and install a custom ROM which is based on the Android 5.0 Lollipop.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You need to have a working computer or laptop with a USB port so you can connect the smartphone with the same.
- You’ll need to have a file manager application of your choice running on the smartphone. Furthermore, you should already know how to use the file manager and upload APK files so they are working. The rooting tool is coming as an APK file.
- Make sure you have enough battery power so that the smartphone doesn’t turn off during the installation. You can soft brick your phone if it turns off during the operation. Have at least 60% battery power before starting.
- You must enable the USB Debugging Mode from the Developer Options menu on the phone.
- Moreover, you must enable the Unknown Sources option from the Menu > Settings > Security
HOW TO ROOT THE ZTE ZMAX IN ANDROID 4.4.X KITKAT
1. Download the Framaroot rooting package from here.
2. Do not extract the folder to the desktop. Keep the file zipped.
3. Connect the Zmax to the computer with the USB cable.
4. Transfer the Framaroot file to the internal storage SD card of the phone.
5. Unplug the ZTE phone from the computer.
6. Open the file manager application and tap on the rooting file to open.
7. Go back to the app drawer and launch the new app from there after it’s finished installing.
8. Open the app and tap on the SuperSU option to install the SuperSU.
9. Open this XDA Developers forum page and learn which exploit works for your specific device.
– you must choose from Sam, Frodo or Aragorn.
10. Choose the correct exploit for your device.
11. Wait as the app now root your device. Do not touch any buttons until the program does its thing.
12. Reboot the handset once it’s done. Upon reboot, you have the root access you desire.
The ZTE Zmax has had a lot of complaints when it comes to finding a rooting method that works. If you are experiencing a shaky ROM or wishing you hadn’t given it a try, you can learn how to unroot the device. If you did manage to get root access, however, then you’re all set to start installing whatever root applications you desire. There are thousands of root apps out there in existence, but only a few hundred of them are commonly installed on a rooted users device. The root apps will forever run until you flash the stock ROM again and unroot your device. You should always flash that stock ROM manually when you are ready to unroot instead of accepting over the air updates just in case the OTA’s create problems for you. Since this rooting method is based on the Android 4.4 KitKat software update, taking a factory reset from the Recovery mode will not break the root access as it does in future rooting methods such as the systemless root created by Chainfire.