Have you been struggling to root your Lenovo S850 but no luck, yet? Don’t worry, we have got a simple guide for you below that lets you easily root your device and then guides you how you can get a custom recovery up and running on your device.
Root means a lot to those who just can’t live with a stock firmware. It’s for the users who always want to try out different custom developments on their Android devices. So, here’s how you can go about rooting your Lenovo S850 device:
Files You Need
1. You need to be running a Windows based PC to do this tutorial.
2. You should have the ADB drivers installed on your computer. If you don’t, they are included in the packages below for you to install them on your computer.
3. Download Flash Tool to your computer. It is the tool that lets you flash files on your Android device.
4. Download ADB to your computer. It will be used to gain root-access on your device.
Rooting the Lenovo S850
1. Extract files from both Flash Tool and ADB to the root folder on your C drive by right-clicking on them one by one and selecting Extract here.
2. Double-click on Flash Tool executable to open it.
3. Click on Options and make sure that DA Download All option is tick-marked.
4. Click on Options again and select Speed followed by Force to High Speed.
5. Hit the Scatter-loading button and select the scatter file available in the Flash Tool folder.
6. Click on Download button in the tool.
7. Turn off your device.
8. While your device is turned off, plug it in to your computer using a USB cable.
9. The tool should flash the BOOTIMG on your device.
10. When it is done flashing, reboot your device.
11. Eject your device from your computer.
12. Head to Menu->Settings->Developer options on your device and turn on USB debugging.
13. Plug your device back in to your computer.
14. Double-click on the CMD file that you extracted from the ADB archive. It should be on the root of the C drive.
15. Now, issue the following commands hitting Enter after each line:
mount -o remount,rw /system
adb push su /system/xbin/daemonsu
adb push su /system/xbin/su
adb push su /system/bin/.ext/.su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
adb push install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
adb push 99SuperSUDaemon /system/etc/init.d/99SuperSUDaemon
chmod 0777 /system/bin/.ext
chmod 06755 /system/bin/.ext/.su
chmod 06755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 0755 /system/xbin/daemonsu
chmod 0755 /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
chmod 0755 /system/etc/init.d/99SuperSUDaemon
chmod 0644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
16. On the last command, your device should reboot.
17. And you should now be rooted!
Congrats! Your Lenovo S850 is now rooted and you can confirm it using the Root Checker app on your device.
You are all set to install a custom recovery on your Lenovo S850 to enjoy many of the best custom ROMs based on different Android versions available out there. Enjoy!