After unlocking the bootloader on the LG G4, you can install a custom recovery on it which will then let you achieve root-access so you can run your favorite root-requiring apps on your device.
Even in such a short span of time, the developers have been successful in porting the TWRP Recovery to the LG G4. The said recovery has got all the features you’d ever need to flash custom developments on your device.
So without further ado, here’s how you can install TWRP Recovery on your European LG G4:
Files You Need
1. The bootloader on your device must be unlocked before you can install a custom recovery on it. Please follow our how to unlock the bootloader on the LG G4 (Europe) tutorial to learn how you can unlock your bootloader.
2. This should flash TWRP Recovery on your device.
3. This only works for the European variant of the LG G4. The model number is H815.
4. Download Fastboot to your computer. It’ll be used to install the recovery on your device.
5. Download TWRP Recovery Image to your computer. It is the recovery that will be installed on your device.
6. Ensure that LG USB Drivers are installed on your computer.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the LG G4 (Europe)
1. Extract files from Fastboot to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
2. Head to Menu->Settings->Developer options and turn on USB debugging.
3. Plug in your device to your computer using a USB cable.
4. Open a Command Prompt Window where the Fastboot files are located. To do that, hold down Shift on your keyboard and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
5. Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window:
adb reboot bootloader
6. Your device should reboot into fastboot mode.
7. Once in fastboot, issue the following command to install the recovery on your device. Make sure to replace recoveryname.img with the actual name of the recovery image you have downloaded.
fastboot flash recovery recoveryname.img
8. Wait for it to install the recovery on your device.
9. When it’s done installing the recovery, reboot your device by entering the following command:
10. Your device should reboot.
11. And you’re all set!
Cheers! Your LG G4 (Europe) is now rocking TWRP Recovery that brings with it numerous cool features you’d love to try out.
As the custom recovery has been successfully installed on your device, it’s time that you go ahead and root your device. You can follow our how to root the LG G4 (Europe) tutorial to gain root-access on your device.
Alternatively, you might like reading the 5 best custom ROMs on the LG G4 smartphone available for you right now.