The Asus Zenfone 2 Laser can be rooted using some adb commands from a Windows computer for installing the pre-rooted firmware. The pre-rooted firmware will let you install the same applications you could install with the older root method you had.
Furthermore, it will pair nicely with a custom recovery so you can start installing any custom ROMs or custom kernels that you might want to try.
These are the guidelines to root the Asus Zenfone 2 Laser with the Z00LD or ZE550KL model numbers:
Files You Need
- Download the pre-rooted firmware file from here.
- Download and install the ADB for your Windows computer and leave the folder with the ADB in it and open on the desktop.
- Download the Asus drivers from the same page as the pre-rooted firmware.
- You can only follow this guide on the Z00LD and ZE550KL model numbers. You can check what the model number of your Zenfone 2 is by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
Rooting the Asus Zenfone 2 Laser 2 Z00LD/ZE550KL
- Unzip the system.img zipe file by right-clicking the file when it’s on the desktop and choosing the “extract here” option from the menu.
- Copy the File boot.img, recovery.img, system.img and md5sum files over to the same folder as your ADB.
- Long-press the Power button and turn off the Zenfone 2 completely.
- Hold down the Volume Up button only and connect it to the computer at the same time.
- From within your ADB folder that also has all the files, hold the Shift key and right-click where it shows the white background to bring up a new menu.
- Choose to open a new command prompt window from the menu you can see.
- Type the following commands, pressing the ENter /Return key after each one:
- fastboot flash boot boot.img
- fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- fastboot flash system system.img
- fastboot -w
- fastboot reboot
In conclusion, that’s all you need to root the Asus Zenfone 2 Laser device. According to the developer, the first time boot at the end will “need some time” and you can reset your device with the recovery or choose the Backup Reset.