The Asus Memo Pad is one of the great tablets under the same brand. It’s one company who most people know as expensive and produce great devices. While that might be true, it is getting old and software updates are thin. There is none of the latest Android 5.0 Lollipop likely coming and there’s heaps of features we found with Android KitKat that are not available here. Thus, if you want to get more out of your device, there’s only one way to do that. You ought to open up the system internals with root access and check out some third-party developer works. You see, they are the ones who create the custom ROMs and custom firmware versions which allow people to install new features, themes and new features found on stock Android versions.
Even though the tablet is great fun running new themes and features available from custom ROMs, it’s also popular to install extra applications available from the Google Play Store. After installing some of the best apps, you can boost system performance by overclocking the GPU, boost performance by removing the bloatware, use more features that don’t focus on performance at all and more.
The Developer Options is hidden in some versions of Android 4.2 Jelly Bean. That’s close to the firmware version you should be on for following this guide. That means if you don’t see the menu you must tap on the build number seven times from the Settings menu and unlock the same.
Details of Note
- You must have the update to date USB drivers for the tablet. You can get them from the official website or from direct Intel links.
- There are several different firmware versions and software updates associated with this tablet. Make sure you are running the 4.6.2 firmware only. You can check that by navigating to the Settings > About Device menu and checking the digits.
- Make sure you backup the device data by using the built-in backup functionality or by installing third-party applications. By third-party, we are referring to the official apps available from the Google Play Store which do not come stock on the device as a standard service or carrier bloatware.
- Backup the phone contacts, settings, passwords, applications, pictures. music video and more.
- Using the following guide does void any warranty you have remaining on the device. You can gain the same back again by going back to stock firmware. You can also install applications available from Google Play such as the root checker and unroot pro version which lets you take away the root privileges after paying a fee. Returning to stock Android with bloatware by waiting for an official firmware build is usually the way to go because it’s free. However, you’ll want to check that this device is expecting a future build rolling out, or else you’ll have to flash one of the older versions.
- You must have a computer to follow the steps. You are downloading some files to the desktop and taking things from there. Do not try to download the files directly to the mobile phone or tablet because it can harm your device.
How to root the Asus Memo Pad FHD 10 On 4.6.2 software update
- Download the official rooted system image here.
- Download the fastboot file here.
- Extract the fastboot files to the desktop of the computer.
- Boot the device in download mode.
- Connect the Memo Pad to the computer using the USB cable it comes with out of the box.
Launch the command prompt from the fastboot folder. You want to open the folder and right-click the mouse while pressing the Shift key in the blank white space.
- A new option menu will arise, choose to open the command line from the windows.
- Type “fastboot flash system system_4_6_2_root.img.gz.” removing the period and the quote marks.
- Reboot the tablet after it finishes flashing.
- You may navigate your way to the Google Play store from the Android operating system on the tablet.
- Log in to your Google account so you can download applications.
- Choose the Superuser app from the search box.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation.
You may download the ‘root validator‘ application from the Google Play Store and check if it is working.