If you want to gain root access, installing a custom ROM firmware or perform complex operations on your smartphone, it is mandatory for you to have a custom recovery image. Hence you get the most out of your device. Here is an easy-to-follow step by step guide about how to install CWM recovery on your Sony Xperia S. This operation, however, is risky. You may end up with a bricked device if you don’t follow the written below steps strictly or do anything on your own. You must pay attention as you need to do a lot things in this procedure. There are some prerequisite steps that you need to take to install the CWM recovery.
You’ll need to let us run over a few things before learning about equipping the Sony Xperia S with a custom recovery image. Read the dot point below carefully so you know thew warnings, everything you need and how to unlock the bootloader.
Unlock the Bootloader: This is the first thing you need to do to have a recovery CWM image on your Xperia S. Bootloader, a small program that runs when you boot your device, is easily comparable with that of a computer. Try this at your own risk as by unlocking the bootloader, you remove the factory restrictions out of the device. It may void the warranty of your smartphone. If you have a locked bootloader, click here to unlock it
- Backup your data: Next step is to back up all your important data on the computer. During this operation, all the data on your smartphone may get corrupted or wiped out. So, it is wise to take care of all your important data
- Make sure you have the Sony Xperia S USB and a computer running on Windows.
- To avoid the interference in the installation process, deactivate your antivirus and firewall of both your PC and your smartphone.
- Make sure that you enable the USB debugging option on your device. Go to Settings > About Phone > Build number. Tap on the Build number option 7 times. Each time you will see a message. After the 7th time, the Developer options will be displayed. Now tap on Developers options and click on the USB Debugging option. Click OK to enable USB debugging.
- It is mandatory for you to have ADB commands installed on your computer.
Complete all these tasks to prepare your device for the written below steps. You have to carefully follow the above mentioned steps otherwise you’ll end up with a bricked device. We can’t have that now, can we?
How To Install The CWM Custom Recovery On Sony Xperia S
- Open your computer and download the CWM recovery file from here.
- Now download the fastboot from here.
- Copy the “ecovery-nozomi.img” file to the Fastboot folder
- Now, plug the USB of your phone into the PC. On your phone, hold the Volume Up button and while doing so, attach the other end of the same chord to your smartphone.
- You have attached your phone with your PC in the Fastboot mode
- Now, on your computer, click on Start > Accessories > Prompt Command and click right to select ‘Run as Administrator’
- The Command Prompt window will pop up. Enter the commands “cd c:\Fastboot” & “fastboot flash boot recovery-nozomi.img” one by one on it. Press enter after each command.
- Voila! The CMW recovery will now be flashed.
- “finished / OKAY” should appear after the process has ended.
- Enter “fastboot reboot” in Command Prompt and your device will now reboot in CWM recovery
- Disconnect your Xperia S device from your computer.
If you have any questions, you can ask me in the comments section.