Samsung Galaxy Tab S5 10.5 is the best Android tablet in today’s market. As the title says, this tablet has a 10.5 inch (biggest ever display on a tablet) with quad HD resolution. This tablet comes with a high-quality camera which includes a 8 MP high-resolution camera with flash (this is the only tablet which has LED flash for the camera), the front camera is 2.1 MP shooter camera capable of shooting 1080p HD videos at 30 frames per second. This tablet has an octa-core processor which is two quad-core processor, one 1.9 GHz, and one 2.3 GHz. This tablet also features USB host with which you can attach pen drives to this tablet using OTG USB cable.
Samsung released Android 5.1 Lollipop for this tablet, but Android 6.0 Marshmallow is far away. If you want to try Android 6.0 Marshmallow stock on your tablet with all the features of it, then you should try this AOSP 6.0 custom ROM on your tablet. AOSP 6.0 custom ROM has all the features of Android 6.0 Marshmallow. For installing this custom ROM you need to do some preparation with your phone. Also, read points to remember before proceed to the installation guide.
Points to Remember:
- First, you need to root your tablet and install a custom recovery on it.
- This custom ROM installation is an unofficial process which may void your device’s warranty.
- I recommend you to install the latest version of TWRP recovery so there will be no possible error while installing the custom ROM.
- This AOSP custom ROM and installation process is only for Galaxy Tab S 10.5, do not try to install the AOSP ROM on any other device.
Step to install AOSP on Galaxy Tab S 10.5:
- Download the custom ROM from here on your PC.
- Download G Apps installation zips package from here.
- Connect your Tab S 10.5 tablet to PC and transfer both the zip files to your device.
- Reboot your tablet into recovery mode. (Turn it off and boot it by pressing and holding the Volume Up key, Power key and Home key together).
- Once in the recovery mode partition, tap on Wipe and swipe to confirm the wiping process.
- Now come back to the main recovery menu and tap on install, select the AOSP 6.0 custom ROM zip file and swipe to install that zip file on your tablet.
- Repeat the above step to install the G Apps zip file also.
- After the installation, tap on the ‘reboot’ button followed by the ‘system’ to reboot the device.
- You get the Android 6.0 Marshmallow boot animation on the screen. Wait for the setup screen to appear and personalize your device again. I am here to listen to all the queries about this installation process, just shoot them in the comment section below.
In conclusion, that is how to update the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 device to the unofficial build of Android 6.0 Marshmallow by installing the AOSP custom ROM. While people who do not usually flash new ROMs can sometimes be scared about going away from stock Android, the AOSP build is nearly as pure as Android ever gets. It operates by removing most of the bloatware that your manufacturer and phone carrier networks put on the device which is something that Android play no role in the decision. However, you need to understand that installing a custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 tablet is going to void the warranty because no company covers it under warranty when you remove the stock Android that they intend to be running on the device.