The Yu Yureka smartphone does require you to have a custom recovery installed before you can gain root. Fortunately, flashing a custom recovery on the said device is as easy as pie. Once installed, the recovery should let you flash the SuperSU zip that will gain root, and then you can get started with flashing custom ROMs and custom kernels as you may have been doing with your other rooted phones.
Here’s how you can install a custom recovery on your Yu Yureka smartphone:
Files You Need
1. Download the Minimal ADB Setup to your computer that will help you issue commands to your device.
2. Download the Yu Yureka Recovery file to your computer. It is what you’ll flash on your device.
3. Ensure that the bootloader on your phone is unlocked. If you haven’t done so yet, you can follow our guide that teaches how to unlock the bootloader on the Yu Yureka smartphone. Come back to this procedure when you’re done unlocking your bootloader.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Yu Yureka
1. The first step is to extract files from the Minimal ADB Setup to your computer. You can do so by right-clicking on the archive and selecting Extract here.
2. Enable the USB debugging option on your phone from Menu->Settings->Developer options. You need this option enabled to be able to issue commands to your device.
3. Plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
4. Open a command prompt window where you extracted the ADB files. To do that, hold down the Shift button on your keyboard and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
5. Issue the following command using the Command Prompt Window:
adb reboot bootloader
6. Select fastboot on your device using the physical buttons and your device should reboot into fastboot mode.
7. Now execute the following command using the command prompt window. Make sure to replace recovery.img with the actual name of the recovery image you have downloaded:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
8. It should flash the recovery on your device.
9. When it’s done flashing, issue the following command:
10. Your phone should reboot.
11. And you’re all done.
And there you go.
Your Yu Yureka smarphone now has a custom recovery that will allow you to flash custom ROMs as well as custom kernels on your device.
Your device isn’t rooted yet. Please follow our guide on how to root the Yu Yureka smartphone to gain root-access on your device.