If you’ve waited for a custom recovery for your 3rd Gen Motorola Moto G, then your wait’s over. Here comes TWRP – one of the finest custom recoveries – for your beloved Moto G.
Once you’ve installed the recovery on your phone, you should be all set to enjoy a roller-coaster ride. You’ll get to experience new and thrilling custom ROMs, custom kernels, and much more that you’ve been missing out on thus far.
So, here you go:
Files You Need
- You must’ve unlocked the bootloader on your phone before doing this tutorial. This won’t work if your bootloader isn’t unlocked. So, head here and get your bootloader unlocked first.
- This should flash the TWRP custom recovery on your phone.
- This should only work on Windows running computers. Please ensure you have access to one before going ahead.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. You’ll need it to flash the recovery on your phone.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. It’s the recovery image that’ll be flashed on your phone.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Motorola Moto G (2015)
- Unzip files from Fastboot to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- Unlock Developer options on your phone by heading to Menu->Settings->About phone and tapping on Build number for 8 times until it says you’re a developer.
- Head to Menu->Settings->Developer options and turn on USB debugging.
- Plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Open the folder where Fastboot files are located. Hold down Shift and right-click on your screen and select Open command window here.
- Type in the following command into the Command Prompt window:
adb reboot bootloader
- It should get your device into bootloader mode.
- Once in bootloader mode, issue the following command. Make sure to replace name.img with the real name of the recovery image that you have downloaded.
fastboot flash recovery name.img
- Wait for it to install recovery on your phone.
- When it’s done installing recovery, reboot your phone by issuing the following command:
- Your phone should reboot.
- You’re done!
The TWRP Recovery has been successfully installed on your Motorola Moto G (2015). It’s time to gain root-access on your device using this newly installed recovery. Head here to get that beast rooted!