Moto E is a budget phone from Motorola after Google takes over the company. This phone has some good features at this price. Google released this phone with stock Android 4.4 Kit Kat with a guaranteed Android 5.0 Lollipop update in future, well Google kept his promise and released Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OTA update for Moto E. This update will take some time to released officially but you can install this software before the official release. If you had rooted your Moto E then you will not get this update notification in future so you should have to update your phone through this process. Stay tuned and read the article before proceeding with the steps.
Google released its Android 5.0 Lollipop version last year. The 5.0.2 Lollipop version of Android is different from all the earlier versions Google ever made. This version has a unique material design interface which makes it so beautiful. This version is also smooth, lite and fast. It gives you some great features like fast charging, smooth animations and much more. If you had not used Android 5.0 Lollipop still then you should install this update to your phone and experience this sweetest release from Google on your phone.
You can also fix your bricked device by installing this update because this is an official update process and stock firmware. This process to update your device won’t void your device’s warranty. The process below is official as well as not at all risky, you don’t have to root your device or install any recovery, this process is as simple as making noodles.
Always be on the safe side and backup all of your data stored on your phone. Sync your contacts to your Google account so you can never lose them. Backup your important files like music, videos, photos and document files to your PC or any other external drive.
Now the things you need to apply this update are: a windows based PC, your phone’s USB cable and of course your Moto E. You have to enable USB debugging option before proceeding by going to settings > About Phone > Tap on Build Number 7 times then go back to settings > Developer Options > check the USB debugging option. Now make sure your phone should have at least 75% charged so it won’t shut down accidentally because if this happens it will brick your phone.
This update process and firmware files are only for Motorola Moto E, do not try this process or firmware files to any other android or Motorola variant.
Steps to Update Moto E to Android 5.0.2 Lollipop Firmware
- Download Android 5.0 Lollipop OTA firmware file to your PC from here.
- Connect your Moto E with your PC via USB cable and move this zip file to your phone (do not unzip the file because we have to use it in zip format only) and unplug it from the PC when its done.
- Reboot your Moto E to recovery mode by turning your phone off then turn it on by pressing the power key, volume up key and volume down key together, when you are in boot menu, select recovery mode.
- In recovery mode hard reset your phone by performing “wipe data factory reset” , “wipe cache partition” and wipe dalvick cache”.
- Now reboot your phone.
- Go to settings > about phone > system updates and select “Yes, I’m in”.
- Now wait until this Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is installed on your phone.
- Your Moto E will reboot after installation.
Alternate Method to install Android 5.0 Lollipop Update on Moto E.
This is an alternate method to install this update on your Moto E this method can be done only by commands.
- Download this Platform Tools zip file from here and unzip on desktop.
- Place the firmware zip file downloaded earlier to this folder and rename it to “update.zip”.
- Now inside this folder, right-click on empty space pressing “shift key” and left click on “Open Command window here”.
- Now reboot your phone to recovery mode (as I told you earlier) and select “Apply OTA from ADB” and plug your phone to PC using USB cable.
- Now on command window type “adb sideload update.zip”, this will install the zip file on you phone.
- After installation unplug your device from PC and reboot your device.
Your phone will take some time to boot for the first time, afterwards it will reboot normally. When your phone reach to the welcome screen, perform the setup and take over your device again. If your phone won’t boot then you can apply this process again.
DO share and like this article so many more waiting for update will also install this on their Moto E. Also share your experience of this firmware with us.