Team Win’s TWRP Recovery is the best custom recovery you can install on your Asus Zenfone Max smartphone. A custom recovery image will replace the stock recovery and give your device the same separate partition it needs to recover the device in times of need, but it also provides your device with some additional features that you will not find coming from a stock recovery. In particular, a custom recovery comes with functions that appeal to anyone looking to customize a smartphone like the Zenfone Max, and much of that appeal comes from the ability to install zip files. It’s these zip files that are usually where our new ROMs and aftermarket firmware files are packaged. Your new recovery is also how to install a custom kernel or boot image. Since flashing is the main reason for installing a custom recovery, the developer give you the NANDroid feature — a better way to backup your device so you can store your data between flashing new ROMs.
Here is everything you must do to install TWRP Recovery on the Asus Zenfone Max smartphone so you can use it to take complete backups without the need of using ADB commands from a computer. Additionally, the new recovery means you can start uploading and installing some custom ROMs if you can find any worth installing for your device.
Files You Need
- You must root the Asus Zenfone Max smartphone before you can follow this guide for installing a custom recovery image.
Installing the TWRP Recovery on the Asus Zenfone Max smartphone
- Open the Google Play Store app on your Zenfone and search for the Rashr application.
- Turn on the computer and point to this TWRP file and have it waiting on the desktop.
- Extract the TWRP Recovery for the Max device to the desktop of the computer and then connect the Asus Zenfone Max handset to the computer with the USB cable.
- Copy the Z010_3.0.0t1.img file from the desktop of the topmost folder of the Max’s internal storage SD card.
- Unplug your Zenfone from the computer and then tap to open the Rashr application from the app drawer.
- Tap your finger over the “Recovery from Storage”option available from the Rashr menu.
- Scroll down the list until you can see the same file you copied to the internal SD card earlier during the guide.
- As soon as the new custom recovery is installed, first-time boot the device holding the hardware button combination to the recovery mode, so you see the TWRP boot and not the typical device operating system.
In conclusion, that is what you need to install the TWRP Recovery on the Asus Zenfone Max smartphone by copying the custom recovery image to the SD card and then installing it with the Rashr application from the Google Play Store. Anyone who does not get the guide working should double-check that they have the device rooted.
Now that you have a custom recovery and root access on the Asus Zenfone Max smartphone you can start installing any new aftermarket firmware that might be available for your device. Likewise, you can start installing any of the rooted apps that are available from the Google Play Store and other third-party sources. The SuperSU will keep your device safe as long as you work with the app. We recommend reading about the SuperSU application so you can understand more about root access and how the SuperSU app works so you can use the app correctly.
Take Into Account:
Team Win often release several TWRP Recovery files for a particular device. They always recommend installing the latest version of TWRP available to avoid compatibility issues. If you have updated the firmware on the device recently and the most recent version of TWRP is not working, then try downgrading the firmware and trying again.
Some custom ROMs that are newer might not be compatible with older versions of TWRP Recovery. You can fix that issue by updating to the latest version of TWRP also.
You can visit the official Team Win Recovery Project home page and scroll down the list to find your device to get the most recent version if the version available in this guide is not working for your device.