If you have not rooted your Huawei P9 yet, you have been missing out on enjoying some of the coolest features root access has to offer. These functions include the ability to run root-requiring apps, flash a custom recovery to flash a custom ROM then, and so on.
There are a million things you can do when you have rooted your phone, and what’s more, rooting costs nothing. To root your phone, all you need to have is the right tools on your computer, and you are good to go.
Here we show how you can root your Huawei P9 using TWRP Custom Recovery:
Files You Need
- You must have a Windows running computer to do this tutorial as the tool that you are going to use is Windows only.
- You must have unlocked the bootloader on your phone before doing this tutorial. If your bootloader is locked, this tutorial will not work for you.
- This should also flash a custom recovery called TWRP on your phone.
- This should flash SuperSU on your phone to achieve access to the root.
- Download Root Package and save it to your computer. It contains everything you need to flash a recovery and root your phone.
- You should only try this on a Huawei P9 phone. Doing this on any other phone will lead to a brick of the phone.
Flashing a Custom Recovery on the Huawei P9
- Extract files from Root Package to your computer by right-clicking on the package and selecting Extract here.
- Turn off your phone.
- Turn your phone back on in fastboot mode. To do so, hold down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
- Your phone should turn on in fastboot mode.
- Plug in your phone to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- Open folder 1 that you extracted from root package and double-click on the .bat file located inside the folder.
- Follow the on-screen instructions for flashing a custom recovery on your phone.
- When the recovery’s flashed, reboot your phone.
Awesome! You have successfully flashed TWRP Recovery on your Huawei P9, and you are all set to get root on your phone. Here’s how:
Rooting the Huawei P9
- Connect your phone to your computer using a compatible USB cable.
- Copy SuperSU .zip from folder 2 that you extracted from root package over to the external SD card on your phone. Since TWRP does not support mounting of internal storage, you must place the file on external storage, or it will not show up in the TWRP menu.
- When SuperSU is copied, disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Turn off your phone.
- Turn your phone back on in TWRP Recovery mode. You can do that by holding down Volume UP and Power buttons together for a few seconds.
- When your phone enters TWRP, tap on the button that says Install.
- Navigate to your external storage and select SuperSU .zip to be installed on your phone.
- Confirm the flash by tapping on Swipe to Confirm Flash.
- Wait for TWRP to flash SuperSU on your phone. It should not take too long to do that.
- When TWRP’s done flashing SuperSU, reboot your phone by selecting Reboot followed by System from the recovery menu.
- Your phone should reboot.
- You should now be rooted!
Congrats! You have successfully rooted your Huawei P9 using TWRP and SuperSU and you are now all set to enjoy tons of root-requiring apps and other developments on your phone.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Root The Sony Xperia Z5
- How To Root The OnePlus 3 On Android 6.0 (Oxygen UI)
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The OnePlus 3
- How To Root Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F On Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Huawei Honor 5C
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.