The Weak Sauce team developed a root exploit earlier this year for some HTC devices. The exploit was later patched in software updates by the Verizon phone carrier network and Google. Well, now it’s time for WeakSauce 2: The Habanero’s Revenge. The same team of developers are bringing out a second coming of the same tool to help owners of the HTC One and the Droid DNA smartphones gain root access again. It’s a unique case where you don’t need the bootloader unlocked and you don’t need S-off. That means it’s a simple process that takes under five minutes after you finish reading through the essentials.
Before starting the steps, we will run you through some essentials you need so you don’t make a mistake. Do not follow the guide unless you are an advanced Android users. It’s easy to make mistakes if you are a rookie.
The Droid DNA comes with Sense 5.5 UI out of the box and Android 4.1.1. from there it has the 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and 4.4 KitKat updates available. Only use the following if you are up to date and running the latest Android 4.4.4 KitKat.
- Firstly, you must have the Dalvik mode enabled. Do this from the Settings menu under Developer Options.
- We are using an APK file which transfers from the computer to the mobile. You must have a file manager installed that you know how to use before starting.
- – all APK’s need a file manager before you can successfully install the file. If you haven’t used any APK’s before we suggest trialing one before starting here.
- The following is for the Verizon edition of the Droid DNA. It’s now discontinued, but as far as we know, the Big Red were the only phone carrier network to pick up the device.
- – you should notice the branding stamped on the back case to check which network yours belongs to.
- You should backup the data before starting. use the built-in backup utility to help store things like the phone contacts, SMS texts, call logs, pictures, music and video files. Moreover, you can download and install application to help you in this area from the Google Play Store. Helium for Android is popular.
- If you need to enter recovery mode after applying the root access you can try installing the reboot manager application from Google Play.
- Make sure you have enough battery power to see through the guide if the USB charging isn’t working. Most smartphones come with USB charging as a default feature. that works by charging the battery so long as it’s plugged into the computer.
- You can use a computer, notebook or laptop for applying the exploit. However, make sure it comes with a working USB slot.
- you must enable the USB Debugging mode by stopping over at the Settings > Developer Options USB Debugging.
How to root the Droid DNA by HTC with WeakSauce 2 for Android 4.4.4
- Download the WeakSauce 2 APK file here.
- Enable the ‘unknown sources” option from the Settings > Security.
- Transfer the file from the computer to the phone.
- You must have a file manager app such as ASTRO file manager for opening the APK.
- Find the app from the app drawer and open it up after installing.
- Download the SuperSU pack from here.
Occasionally people change their minds and decide they wish they were running stock Android like it was out of the factory. We can help you apply the same. If you don’t want to spend any money you can wait for future software updates and apply them manually. Do not accept the OTA file with root access. Devices such as the DNA might be at the end of their software run, which means you won’t find any more coming. In that case you have no choice but to install an app such as root checker and unroot pro from the Google Play store.