The following files are registry files, otherwise known as registration entries, are text-based files that can be used to add or change values in the Windows registry. You could always change these values in the registry manually if you wish, but the files will make the changes automatically for you and thus limits the technical knowledge required to make registry changes. In fact, these reg files require no knowledge whatsoever apart from being able to download and open the file.
Usually when you install a reg file, you will be making a change to the registry that will alter Windows from its default settings. However, in this particular case, the reg files in this article are going to restore the registry and thus restore Windows to its default state for each of the associated files. For instance, downloading the CMD reg file will restore the command prompt registry values to their default state, and so on.
How to Restore Default File Type Associations in Windows Vista
Download: ani (Windows animated cursor file.)
Download: bat (Batch files.)
Download: cab (Cabinet files.)
Download: cmd (Windows command script files.)
Download: com (MS-DOS application files.)
Download: css (Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) file used to format the contents of a Web page; contains customized, global properties for how to display HTML elements; can define the size, color, font, line spacing, indentation, borders, and location of HTML elements.)
Download: dat (Generic data file created by a specific application; typically accessed only by the application that created the file; may contain data in text or binary format; text-based DAT files can be viewed in a text editor.)
Download: drive (Drive protocol associations.)
Download: exe (Executable application files.)
Download: folder (Folder protocol associations.)
Download: hlp (Help File)
Download: lnk (Shortcut link (LNK) files.)
Download: pdf (Portable Document Format (PDF) is a file format created by a company called Adobe, which is not owned or operated by Microsoft Corp. By default, Windows operating systems do not support PDF files. This file retroes the default PDF association in Vista and any understanding of the file type will be lost. To make PDF documents readable again, you will need to install third-party software such as Adobe Reader.
Download: reg (Registry files.)
Note: You may need to enable regedit before you will be able to use this REG file.
Download: scr (Screen Saver files.)
Download: wav (Wave audio file.)
Download: xsl (A eXtensible Stylesheet Language file that defines the style of text, tables, and other objects within a XML document; similar to a .CSS file used by .HTML documents. The default program is Internet Explorer.)
- How to Fix Cannot Delete a File or Folder Due to Corrupt Recycling Bin
- How to Switch Windows Media Player to 64 Bit in Windows Vista
- How to Troubleshoot Using Reliability and Performance Monitor in Windows Vista
- How to Adjust Cookie Preferences in Internet Explorer in Windows Vista
- How to Open Elevated Command Prompt in Windows Vista
- How to View Boot Information at Startup in Windows Vista
- How to Fix Program Installation Errors in Windows Vista
- How to Setup Event Viewer to Send Email Notifications in Windows Vista
- How to Change Menu Show Delay Time in Windows Vista
- How to Change Internet Time Synchronization Update Interval in Windows Vista
- How to Change Recycle Bin Storage Size in Windows Vista
- How to Get Windows Vista Into Safe Mode