Over the years, installing a custom ROM on an Android device was the fastest way to update to newer versions of Android. Google then changed all that by introducing the Nexus devices. It’s now common knowledge that to get fresh Android updates on time, you will need to invest in one of the latest Google Nexus smartphones or tablets. They are the first to get Android Lollipop, Android Marshmallow and the soon to be Android “N” software too. Still, the updates must trickle to the rest of the smartphones and tablets out there too, one of which is the Huawei Honor 4X smartphone.
Google Nexus devices are not for everybody because software isn’t always the main priority. Even if it was, it still might not be enough of a reason to invest in one if you love the Huawei brand. One way you can update your Huawei Honor 4X smartphone quicker than usual is to install a custom ROM. The custom ROM experience will still upgrade your operating system quicker than waiting for your incremental software update to arrive as a notification.
Xiaomi devices are getting pretty popular these days. The MIUI ROM is the stock ROM that comes with most of those Xiaomi devices. Xiaomi is a brand better known as an Apple rip-off by people out in the western world. However, they are regarded as a company making the best smartphones in the world in other areas around Asia. The MIUI experience has been a similar deal with many people out west just calling it an iOS 9 knock off. However, the MIUi ROM is really popular in Asian markets.
Anyone wanting to try the MIUI ROM on the Huawei Honor 4X can install this MIUI V6 ported custom ROM. It’s ported and an unofficial build, but is still regarded as one of the best custom ROMs you can try.
Files You Need
- Download the MIUI version 6 ROM from here.
The guide is written in reference to TWRP Recovery. The steps will vary if you are using a different custom recovery like ClockworkMod Recovery.
Installing the MIUI V6 custom ROM on the Huawei Honor 4X smartphone
- Download the MIUI version 6 ROM from the files section above and have it on the desktop of a computer.
- Connect the Huawei Honor 4X smartphone to the computer with the USB cable.
- Copy the MIUI V6 ROM file over to the root of the internal storage SD card and keep it at the topmost folder.
- Unplug your Honor 4X smartphone from the computer.
- Turin off the smartphone and reboot it to recovery mode so your custom recovery boots up on the display.
- Tap on the Backup button to take the NANDroid backup.
- Wipe the data and apply the factory reset.
- Install the custom ROM zip file from your internal storage SD card.
- Choose the option to reboot the system now once your ROM is flashed.
In conclusion, that’s how to install the MIUI custom ROM on the Huawei Honor 4X smartphone. The new MIUI ROM should boot on your smartphone every time you reboot, restart or power it off and on again.