The WiFi variant of the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 with model number N5110 now has the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop available to install thanks to a custom ROM. The custom ROM we are using today is the CM 12.1 Snapshot custom ROM and known as a stable build so you will have no worries using it on your daily device. Of course, custom ROMs are most famously used for those people who are not getting looked after by their own phone carrier networks and manufacturers with the latest software updates. In this cases, there’s only one thing you can do: root it, get a custom recovery and install a custom ROM.
The Files You Need
- Download the
cm-12.1-20151007-SNAPSHOT-YOG4PAO335-n5110.zipfrom this official page here.
- Download the Google Apps file (Gapps) you need for Android 5.1.1 Lollipop on this page.
- These are the steps to update Samsung Galaxy Note 8 WiFi with Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. You can only follow this guide if you have a custom recovery installed. You are installing an unofficial build thanks to a custom ROM.
Updating the Samsung Galaxy Note 8 WiFi (N5110) with Android 5.1.1 Lollipop by using an unofficial CM 12.1 custom ROM
- Download the Gapps file to the desktop and leave it zipped.
- Download the Snapshot CM 12.1 custom ROM file to the desktop and leave the file zipped.
- Connect the Samsung galaxy Note 8 WiFi to the computer where you have the files.
- transfer both of the files over to the root of the SD card internal storage. that’s the topmost folder of the SD card and not hidden in any sub folder.
- Once you know you have the ROM and the Google stock apps on the device, unplug it from the computer and the USB cable.
- Shut the device down by long-pressing the Power key.
- Reboot the Note 8 into the custom recovery that you have installed. Do that by pressing the Volume Up + Home + Power keys.
- Now take a NANDroid backup so you can restore that data later. You are about to wipe the current ROM.
- Select the Wipe or Wipe Data/Factory Reset option from your recovery menu. The wording differs depending on your recovery.
- Select Install or Install from SD card and browse the SD card for the custom ROM file. You should be loading this ROM with it still zipped.
- browse the SD card and load the Gapps file.
- Select the reboot System option from the main recovery menu.
- Now your device will reboot back in the normal mode but with the custom ROM installed that boosts your device to the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.