Life in the Western world is mostly about freedom. We always want to have freedom to make our own choices. If we didn’t have freedom we would feel like we were succumbing to a great injustice. Companies often push those boundaries and always try to take away our freedom. Often people aren’t smart enough to realize what’s happening. That example is never more apparent than in the smartphone and mobile tablet world where a device manufacturer locks our devices which prevents us from using them to their full potential.
If you want to overcome those limitations, you must get root access on the device. Once you have access to the root file system, you can take control and have much more fun with your device. We don’t dislike companies like Motorola for applying restrictions; they did make the device and can do what they like. However, we also buy the device and often spend a lot of money doing so, which should mean we can also choose to do what we want with the device after we buy them.
The Files You Need
- Download the PwnMyMoto rooting tool from this page.
- Download ADB from here.
- These are the steps to root the Motorola Droid Mini smartphone. Do not try flashing these same files on any other device or you will brick the device. The following guide will void any warranty you have left. You should get that Motorola warranty working again by unrooting the Droid Mini. You will need to find the unrooting guide to get that job done.
Rooting the Motorola Droid Mini
- Download both files to the desktop of the Windows computer.
- Do not extract the PwnMyMoto file. Do extract the ADB file by right-clicking over the file and selecting the ‘extract here’ option from the menu.
- Make sure you have the USB Debugging Mode enabled and then connect the Droid Mini to the computer.
– you can find USB Debugging Mode by heading to the Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
- Connect the Motorola Droid Mini to the computer using the USB cable.
- Open the ADB folder and press the Shift key and right-click the mouse where it’s an empty space.
- Choose to open the command window here from the menu that should pop out.
- Type the command: “adb install -r PwnMyMoto.apk” — change the PwnMyMoto.apk with the real file name it has.
- regardless of where that file is downloaded on your computer. the command prompt should now flash that on your device.
- Launch the PwnMyMoto app that is now on your devices app drawer along with all the other apps.
- After tapping on the app it should begin rooting the device.
- Wait for the device to reboot 2 or 3 times. Eventually the rooting will be complete.
- To finish off, open the Google Play Store app and download the SuperSU app.
- That’s all you need to do; you do not need to install the SuperSU through a custom recovery. It will install the SuperSU app and grant the rooting permission.
- You can check that the guide did work for you by installing the root checker app. By installing the root checker app you are making it easier on yourself to identify problems in the future.
Once you do know you have root access, you can continue browsing the Google Play Store for more apps that you might want to use.