You need to root the Huawei Mercury M886 if you want to use the popular apps from the Google Play Store like Titanium backup. Many developers have created apps that need administrator permissions to be granted to the internal system of the device. That’s what root access is: administrator permissions like on a Windows PC. All smartphone manufactures lock the device under factory restrictions that prevent people from using the devices with administrator permissions. Note that this guide only gives you root access and does not install a custom recovery on your device. You need a custom recovery to install a custom ROM. Changing ROMs away from the stock Android ROM that comes with the device out of the box is another popular reasons for getting root access.
The Files You Need
- Download the rooting file you need from this XDA Developers page here.
- Install a working Linux Distro with Nautilus. You can download that directly from the Ubuntu link we dropped.
- You must have ADB installed on Windows to follow this guide. You can follow our guides that teaches you how to install Android ADK and ADB on Windows.
Rooting The Huawei Mercury M886
- Download the rooting file and have it on the desktop of the computer.
- Right-click the mouse over the file and choose the extract here option from the menu.
- Transfer the rooting file over to the same folder where you have ADB.
- Connect the Huawei Mercury M886 to the computer where you have the files.
- From the ADB folder, hold the Shift key on the computer keyboard and right-click the mouse on an empty white space within that ADB folder.
- A new menu should appear; one of those options from the menu is open a new command windows here. Choose that options and open the command line.
- Type the first command into the command prompt window one at a time:
adb push busybox /data/local/tmp adb push su /data/local/tmp adb push Superuser.apk /data/local/tmp
- Type the next command for entering the ADb shell:
- You know it’s going well if you can see a dollar sign in the command prompt windows at this stage.
- Type the next commands one at a time:
chmod 6755 /data/local/tmp/su chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/busybox chmod 644 /data/local/tmp/Superuser.apk
- Long-press the Power button and completely power down the smartphone.
- Reboot the Huawei Mercury M886 to download mode by holding the Volume Up + Volume Down + Power keys in at the same time.
- Run the Linux Distro program on the computer.
- Transfer the Superuser.apk to /system/app/ folder.
- Transfer the BusyBox and SU to the /data/local/temp/ to /system/bin/ folder.
- Unplug the Huawei smartphone from the computer now.
- Remove and connect the battery again.
Press the Power button to boot the handset up and you should be ready for installing root-requiring apps from the Google Play Store. Start with the root checker app if you prefer.