Rooting Huawei smartphones helps you broaden the range of applications that become available to install.
Once you open your device out of the box, you’ll inevitably see some apps there available to use. And you might even enjoy a few of them. But there are hundreds of other useful applications out there not yet on your device, and even if you were to put them on your device, they still wouldn’t be able to run at all until the device had root access.
These are the steps to root the Huawei Honor 5X smartphone using a custom recovery and the SuperSU by Chainfire.
Files You Need
- You must unlock the booloader on the Huawei Honor 5X before you can root the smartphone.
- You must install a custom recovery on the Huawei Honor 5X before you can root the device.
- You must set up ADB on your computer if you do not have it already. You can follow our guides for settings up ADB on Linux, ADB on Windows and ADB on Mac computers.
- Download the SuperSU file you need for your 5X smartphone from this page.
- You are voiding the Huawei warranty when you root the Honor 5X smartphone.
Rooting the Huawei Honor 5X
- Download the SuperSU to the desktop of your computer and transfer the SuperSU to the root of the internal SD card.
- Enable the USB Debugging Mode on the Honor 5X smartphone by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
- Those who have to unlock the Developer Options on the 5X device can tap on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Keep tapping the Build Number for at least seven times and it will tell you that you are using the device now as a developer.
- Keep your command prompt window open from install TWRP Recovery on the device.
- Those who do not have the command prompt window open need to open the ADB and TWRP folder and open the command prompt from within that folder by holding the Shift key and right-clicking the mouse where there are no files within that same folder. Now choose to open a new command prompt window from the menu.
- Type the command:
adb reboot recovery
- The Huawei Honor 5X smartphone will now boot up in the custom recovery mode. Otherwise you can install the Quick Boot app from the Google Play Store after you have root access.
- Tap on the ‘Backup’ option from the recovery menu and take a NANDroid Backup of your data. You can restore that later in one partition at a time with the NANDroid Manager application from the Google Play Store.
- Tap on the ‘Install’ option from the TWRP Recovery menu.
- Upload the SuperSU package from the SD card.
- Swipe to confirm you do want to install the SuperSU.
- Choose the ‘Reboot System’ option from the main recovery menu.
That’s all you need to have unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP Recovery and rooted the Huawei Honor 5X smartphone. You can use your device to install custom ROMs, custom kernels, install more apps, block ads if you must, use the Titanium Backup feature or the NANDroid Backup feature, and still a great deal more.