Installing a custom recovery is a great idea if you want to install a custom ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S3 device. Generally speaking, you need to install a custom recovery if you want to install a custom ROM; however, that isn’t always the case. It is possible to install CyanogenMod on your device and it comes with the CyanogenMod installer. That same CyanogenMod installer will also install CWM recovery on your device. You will get directed to installing a custom recovery during most guides with rooting and installing custom ROMs. Although, a custom recovery like TWRP recovery is also useful for people who just want to use a better backup feature (NANDroid backups).
The Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) is similar to ClockworkMod recovery but comes with a touch-based recovery environment. That means you don’t use the Power and Volume keys like you would with ClockworkMod recovery. Instead, you have the buttons on the devices display as you would expect to find on a modern smartphone feature. Apart from that, there isn’t much difference — both TWRP and CWM recovery have the same features as each other.
The Files You Need
- Download the TWRP manager on your device from the Google Play Store link on this page.
- You may only follow this guide if you already have root access on the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE smartphone.
- Installing a custom recovery like TWRP does void the warranty. Furthermore, you are removing the stock recovery and replacing it with a custom version.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE I9305
- Download the TWRP recovery manager app from the Google Play STore link above.
- Wait for the app to finish downloading and then tap to open the app found in your devices app drawer.
- Tap the ‘Install Recovery” button from within the application.
- Wait a few minutes and the job is complete.
- There are several ways one can boot a device into a custom recovery mode. Once you are in that mode you can then flash a custom ROM by clicking the “Install” button and uploading the ROM file from your SD card.
- You might be interested in reading how to boot into custom recovery mode on the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE smartphone.