For whatever reasons, if you don’t like the stock ROM on your Verizon LG G3, you can have it replaced with a custom one that brings a new look and extra features that were not present in your stock firmware.
In order to install a custom ROM on your LG G3 from Verizon, you need to have a custom recovery installed on your device. Fortunately, you’ve got the best – TWRP – recovery for your device that lets you do exactly what you want – flash a custom ROM.
Here’s how you can go about installing TWRP Recovery on the LG G3 (Verizon):
Files You Need
1. Your device must be rooted before you can install a custom recovery on it. Please head to our how to root the Verizon LG G3 tutorial to learn how you can root your device.
2. You should have access to a Windows based computer to be able to do this tutorial.
3. Download and install LG USB drivers on your computer, if you don’t already have them.
4. Download Minimal ADB to your computer. You will use it to execute commands on your device.
5. Download TWRP Recovery Image for the VS985 to your computer. It is the custom recovery image that will be installed on your device.
6. This only works for the VS985 variant of the LG G3.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the LG G3 (Verizon)
1. First of all, extract files from Minimal ADB to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
2. Turn on USB debugging on your device by heading to Menu->Settings->Developer options.
If you don’t see Developer options in your settings menu, please head to Menu->Settings->About phone and tap on Build number for about 7-8 times until it says you’re a developer. You should then be able to see the aforesaid option in your settings menu.
3. Plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
4. Copy TWRP Recovery Image from your computer over to the internal SD card on your phone.
5. Open a CMD window in the folder where you have extracted ADB files. To do so, hold down Shift and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
6. Type in the following command into the CMD window pressing Enter after each line. Make sure to replace RECOVERYNAME.img with the actual name of the recovery image that you have downloaded.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
dd if=/sdcard/RECOVERYNAME.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery
7. Wait for it to install the recovery on your device.
8. When it’s done installing, reboot your device.
9. You’re all set!
Your Verizon LG G3 is now equipped with the TWRP custom recovery that will let you enjoy many things on your device that you did not have access to before.
One of the things you can do right away is install the CyanogenMod custom ROM on your Verizon LG G3. It is a really great custom ROM that brings with it lots of goodies you’d love playing around with.