Huawei’s Nexus 6P has been creating a buzz in the Android world for some time now, and it is all because of the awesomeness it brings with it. To add to that awesomeness, we now have a custom recovery and a root method for the phone.
If you happen to have this phone and are looking to root it, here’s how to first flash a custom recovery on it which will then let you flash SuperSU to gain root on the phone.
This is what you need to install TWRP Recovery on the Google Nexus 6P smartphone.
Files You Need
- The bootloader on your phone must be unlocked before you can do this tutorial. If you have not unlocked your bootloader yet, please head to our how to unlock the bootloader on the Nexus 6P tutorial to do that. Once that is done, come back here and continue.
- This should flash a custom recovery called TWRP on your Nexus 6P.
- You must have a computer that runs Windows in order to do this tutorial.
- Ensure that Universal ADB drivers are installed on your Windows computer.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. It is the recovery that will be flashed on your phone.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It should help you flash the recovery on your phone.
- Download Boot Image to your computer. It is a modified boot image for your Nexus 6P.
- You should only try this on the Huawei Nexus 6P phone.
Installing TWRP Recovery on the Huawei Nexus 6P
- Unzip files from both Boot Image and Fastboot over to your computer by right-clicking on each of them and selecting Extract here.
- Head to Menu->Settings->About phone on your phone and tap on Build number for 7-8 times and it should unlock the developer options menu.
- Head to Menu->Settings->Developer options and turn on the USB debugging option.
- Plug in your Nexus 6P to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- Copy both Boot Image and TWRP Recovery to the folder where fastboot.exe is located.
- Open a Command Prompt Window in the fastboot folder. To do that, hold down Shift on your keyboard and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
- When the window launches, type in the following command and hit Enter:
- Your device should show up on the list.
- Next up, issue the following command using the CMD window:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your phone should reboot into the bootloader mode.
- Once in the bootloader mode, type in the following command into the CMD window and hit Enter. Replace boot.img with the actual boot image name.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Once the above command has been executed, run the following command replacing twrp.img with the actual TWRP recovery image name:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Wait for it to flash TWRP on your phone.
- When it’s done flashing TWRP, reboot your phone using the following command:
- Your phone should reboot.
- You are done!
TWRP recovery has been successfully installed on your Huawei Nexus 6P and you can now head to our how to root the Huawei Nexus 6P tutorial to learn how you can go about rooting your phone. Root is what allows you to customize your phone to a greater extent, so go ahead and get it on your phone.
Furthermore, those wanting to just use the custom recovery for installing custom ROMs can learn how to boot the Huawei Nexus 6P in custom recovery mode.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Root The Motorola Moto X On Android 5.1 Lollipop
- How To Root The LG G4 On Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The LG L Bello
- How To Root An Android Device Using PurpleDrake Method
- How To Root An Android Device Using WinDroid Toolkit
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.