Those of you who were waiting for a root method to root their Motorola Moto X running on Android 5.1 would be glad to know that finally their phone can be rooted, all thanks to TWRP and SuperSU.
The procedure first flashes a custom recovery on the phone and then uses it to flash SuperSU in order to root the phone. It all works step-by-step and following are the steps to do so:
Files You Need
- Your bootloader must be unlocked before you can do this tutorial. If yours is locked, please see the instructions here for more details.
- This should also flash a custom recovery called TWRP on your Moto X.
- You must have a Windows running computer in order to do this tutorial.
- Make sure that Universal ADB drivers are installed on your computer. If they are not, install them first.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. Please download the 220.127.116.11 version as it is confirmed to be working fine.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. It should help you flash the recovery on your phone.
- You should only try this on the Motorola Moto X phone.
Rooting the Motorola Moto X running on Android 5.1
- First of all, extract files from Fastboot over to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- Head to Menu->Settings->About phone on your phone and tap on Build number for 7-8 times and it will say you are a developer. That should unlock the developer options menu on your phone.
- Now, head to Menu->Settings->Developer options and turn on the USB debugging option.
- Once the USB debugging option has been enabled, turn off your phone.
- Turn your phone back on in fastboot mode. To do that, hold down Volume DOWN and Power buttons together for a few seconds on your phone.
- Your phone should reboot into the fastboot mode.
- Plug in your phone to your computer using a suitable USB cable.
- Copy TWRP Recovery to the folder where fastboot.exe is located.
- Launch a Command Prompt Window in the Fastboot folder by opening the folder, holding down Shift on the keyboard and right-clicking anywhere on the screen and selecting Open command window here.
- Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window:
- Your device should show up in the devices list.
- Next up, issue the following command to flash the recovery on your phone. Make sure to replace twrp.img with the actual recovery image name.
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Wait for it to flash TWRP Recovery on your phone.
- When it’s done flashing TWRP, reboot your phone using the following command:
- Your phone should reboot into the bootloader mode.
- Select the Recovery option appearing on your screen.
- Your phone should now reboot into the newly installed custom recovery mode.
- The TWRP Recovery should prompt you to install SuperSU on your phone. Hit Yes and wait for it to root your phone.
- The recovery should let you know when it has rooted your phone.
- When rooting’s done, reboot your phone using the Reboot followed by System option.
- You are all set!
Your Motorola Moto X running on Android 5.1 is now rooted and has a custom recovery.
Since you have a custom recovery installed on the Motorola Moto X — TWRP recovery — you can now check out the 11 best custom ROMs for the Motorola Moto X smartphone. You can now install any of these on your device.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Root The LG G4 On Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The LG L Bello
- How To Root An Android Device Using PurpleDrake Method
- How To Root An Android Device Using WinDroid Toolkit
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Huawei Nexus 6P
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.