A custom recovery is a must for your LG L Bello if you ever plan to flash a custom ROM on your phone. The most easiest and the widely popular way of flashing a custom ROM on an Android device is to use the custom recovery mode.
There are various custom recoveries in the market that offer various features, however, most of them do have the standard features that let you flash custom files on your phone.
In the following guide, you are going to flash PhilZ CWM based recovery on your LG L Bello. It is quite a popular custom recovery for the Android phones that works like a charm.
Go ahead and give it a try using the following guide:
Files You Need
- Please backup your phone before doing this tutorial, just to be in safe side.
- Your phone must be rooted before you can install a custom recovery on it. If you are not rooted, please head to our how to root the LG L Bello tutorial and get your phone rooted first. Then, come back here and continue.
- This should first flash a boot image and then a custom recovery on your LG L Bello.
- Download Boot Image to your computer. It should unlock the bootloader on your phone.
- Download PhilZ CWM Recovery to your computer. It is the custom recovery that will be flashed on your phone.
- You should only try this on the D335 variant running Android 5.0.2.
Installing a Custom Recovery on the LG L Bello
- Connect your phone to your computer using a suitable USB cable and make sure that your phone can receive files from your computer.
- Copy both Boot Image and PhilZ CWM Recovery from your computer over to the external SD card storage on your phone. Place them in the root directory or the following steps will not work.
- When both the files have been copied, disconnect your phone from your computer.
- Launch Google Play on your phone, search for and tap on Terminal Emulator for Android, and install it on your phone.
- Wait for the app to be installed on your phone.
- When the app’s installed, launch it from your app drawer.
- Type in the following command into the Terminal app and hit return:
- You will be prompted for SU permissions. Hit Grant in the pop-up that appears on your phone.
- Now, type in the following command and hit return:
dd if=/storage/external_SD/uboot.img of=/dev/uboot count=1024
- It should place Boot Image at its appropriate location on your phone.
- That should have unlocked the bootloader on your phone.
- Next up, issue the following command using the Terminal app and hit return:
- Accept the prompt by hitting Grant and the app will be provided with the SU permissions.
- Now issue the following command to flash the recovery on your phone:
dd if =/storage/external_SD/recovery.img of =/dev/recovery count=32768
- That should flash the custom recovery on your phone.
- When the recovery has been flashed on your phone, use the following command to reboot your phone into the newly installed recovery mode:
- Your phone should reboot into the recovery mode.
- You are done!
And, a custom recovery is now up and running on your LG L Bello smartphone. You can learn how to boot the LG L Bello in custom recovery mode by following our guide.
Now that you have root access, a custom recovery, and the knowledge to get into the recovery mode, go ahead and get a custom ROM flashed on your phone by finding a suitable ROM for your phone from many of the sources on the Internet.
Before you flash a custom ROM on your phone, make sure you have backed up your current ROM using the backup option given in the recovery mode. It should help you restore to the stock when things are not working good on your phone.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Root An Android Device Using WinDroid Toolkit
- How To Root An Android Device Using PurpleDrake Method
- How To Root The LG G4 On Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- How To Root The Motorola Moto X On Android 5.1 Lollipop
- How To Install A Custom Recovery On The Huawei Nexus 6P
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.