It wasn’t long ago we gave out the guide to root the S4 on 4.2.2. However, as so often is the case, Samsung decided to push out another firmware update. If you are running the XXUAMDL firmware (which is the new firmware) for the S4 I9500 you will need to use this guide instead.
The S4 smartphone from Sammy started off with Android 4.4.4 jelly bean out of the box and off the shelves os it isn’t far off what we are using here today although this is a new build namely XXUAMDL that we are using. You need to update the handset to that firmware I mentioned before continuing to start this guide. If you are running the wrong software update, it will brick the smartphone. Check what version you are using now by navigating to Settings > About Device and looking at the build number and software version.
Since I first wrote this, the S4 has seen numerous updates including the Android 4.3 jelly Bean and the latest Android 4.4.2 Kitkat. If you are viewing this today and didn’t know that there is much newer software out there then you can check for the OTA updates by navigating to Settings > About phone > Software updates > Check now.
Details of Note
- Turn off any antivirus and anti-malware protection features that are working as a security on the Android-based smartphone as well as a computer operating system. Some go as far as disabling the firewall too although it’s arguable whether people need it. We do want to disable the security temporarily until the guide is complete. Remeber to turn it back on again before you start browsing the internet and picking up viruses.
- Use the Helium application available for download from the Google Play Store to backup the market apps stored on the smartphone. You can backup contacts using the Samsung Kies application or the Google Gmail account that is assigned to the handset. People also want to make a full backup, so data doesn’t go missing including the call logs, SMM TEXT, photos, videos music and other sensitive data.
- The guide put together here today is made for the I9500 variant of the S4 only and should not be used for any other model. If you attempt to install it on another device, it can hard brick the handset.
- – Samsung Galaxy USB drivers
- – USB debugging mode enabled
- Up until now the warranty on this device would have been good as long as it’s within the time period because it was official. But as soon as you apply this root it will now be void. Make sure you understand this properly before going ahead.
- Verify the status of the battery remaining is enough to continue. Anything over 70% when looking at the icon on the screen will be fine.
- Scared of starting? If there is anything that goes wrong that you just can’t seem to work out how to fix and it’s taking up way too much of your valuable time and effort, you should look into doing a complete factory reset to solve your woes.
How to Root Galaxy S4 I9500 On Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean XXUAMDL Firmware
- Download the CF-Auto-Root Android 4.2.2 Package to the computer’s desktop for easy access. Extract the files from it. Download ODIN v1.85 and do the same.
- Power down the device and boot it back up into download mode. How do I do that? Here is the guide to putting the device into download mode.
- Start up ODIN, which you downloaded on the computer. Now using the USB cable supplied, connect the phone to the computer. How do I know if it was successful? You should see an added message appear inside ODIN.
- Please remind yourself that this guide was given to help you for educational purposes. You can’t hold is liable for any damages or loss of data that happened as you were following this guide. When you follow it, it’s about you and not us.
- Locate the CF-Auto-Root-jflte-jfltexx-gtI9500.zip file which is found in the zip we downloaded before in step 1. Insert this file into the PDA tab inside ODIN.
- Make sure that the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options are also checked. You do not need any others checked.
- Keep your eyes peeled for the start button. You will now need to press it for the tool to start working.
- When it is done don’t get a shock when you see the phone reset. It is just restarting itself.
Regretting what just happened? Don’t fear because it is taken away again and the warranty is fully restored without your manufacturer knowing anything. There is another process, you will need to follow to do this.