A custom recovery image replaces the stock version with a custom one that allows for the uploading of zip files, as well as offers the chance for you to use some other features, one of the more commonly used ones being the NANDroid backups.
Taking the ultimate backup with the NANDroid option from the TWRP interface is certainly an attraction, but it’s not anywhere near as popular as uploading custom ROM or rooting file,s which can be done from the main interface as well.
You can use the XDA-Developers web forum to find custom ROMs for your smartphone–if there are any—or just flash SuperSU so you can start installing the root applications. There are some 300+ root apps that are used by Android enthusiasts on a regular basis.
This is what you need to install TWRP Recovery on the Huawei Y300 smartphone.
Details We Should Know
- The custom recovery images available in this guide are only to be installed on the Huawei Y300 smartphone. Most devices have a custom recovery image developed specifically for it, and you shouldn’t install one that is intended for another device unless advised it is okay by a professional.
- You can follow this guide on any of the major three computer operating systems: Windows, Mac, and Linux. You just need to download the right platform-tools file from the Android SDK package when you’re on the Android website, which is walked through during the guide below.
Files We Need
- Download on your computer the latest version of TWRP Recovery: Primary (Americas) | Primary (Europe).
- Download on your computer the universal ADB drivers.
- Download on your computer the platform-tools from the Android SDK.
How to Install TWRP Recovery on Huawei Y300 Smartphones
1. Make sure you’ve installed the universal ADB driver on the computer. That will make it possible for you to use adb commands as well as the Huawei Y300 smartphone. If you can’t get the Huawei Y300 smartphone connected to the computer, then you can also download the Huawei USB drivers instead so the computer has both the ADB drivers and Huawei drivers installed . . . you then can’t go wrong.
2. You need to have the platform-tools part of the Android SDK on your computer. From the download link scroll down until you get to the command line tools section and then download the package that is made for your operating system.
3. Once you have the SDK Manager on your computer, check the box only for the platform-tools, so you end up with the adb and fastboot binaries installed on the computer. (You could also install the drivers from there as well if you wanted.)
4. Pick up the Huawei Y300 smartphone and navigate to the Settings > About and tap your finger over the build number at least seven times so that the Developer Options menu becomes unlocked. Then go back to the Settings, enter the Developer Options menu and then enable the USB debugging mode.
5. Connect the Huawei Y300 smartphone to the computer by using the USB cable that it comes with.
6. Now on the computer open the Command Prompt and type the
adb reboot bootloader command and hit “Enter” on your keyboard to get the Huawei Y300 smartphone into the bootloader mode and ready for the flashing.
7. Make sure you have copied the TWRP image file to the same folder as the adb and fastboot binaries. Also when you’re there, change the name of the TWRP to “twrp.img” by right-clicking the mouse pointer on it and selecting the “Rename” option from the menu.
8. From the command line type the
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img command and hit “Enter” on your keyboard to flash the custom recovery.
9. Lastly type the
fastboot reboot command and as soon as the Huawei Y300 smartphone reboots, hold down the key combination to boot directly into the recovery mode. (If you don’t sometimes the stock recovery will wipe over the custom recovery you just installed.)
The custom recovery image for the Huawei Y300 smartphone is now installed, and you are ready to boot into recovery mode and start flashing the custom ROM or rooting zip files.
If you ever feel like reverting to the stock recovery again, you can get the recovery image from the stock recovery zip file or just flash the Huawei stock ROM for your Huawei Y300 smartphone. When you flash the complete ROM it’ll also give you the stock recovery image at the same time which overrides the custom recovery image.