These are the steps to update the Galaxy Nexus I9250 to the SlimLP custom ROM based on the latest Android 5.1.1 Lollipop. As most of you will already know, there are no more official software updates coming the Galaxy Nexus’s way. There are still some third-party developers looking after this device, though, since it is one of the most popular devices out there. The following guide will let you taste the latest Lollipop unofficially with a new ROM. The ROM is a stable one and should be fine for your daily smartphone.
The Files You Need
- Download the SlimLP Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM for the Galaxy Nexus from this page.
- Download the Google Gapps you might want to install from this page.
- You must have a custom recovery installed on your device to follow this guide. It doesn’t matter what recovery — TWRP, CWM and Philz touch will all work fine.
Updating the Galaxy Nexus I9250 to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop with a custom ROM
- Download both the files from the files section above to the desktop of the computer.
- Connect the Galaxy Nexus to the computer with the USB cable.
- Copy and Paste the SlimLP custom ROM and the Google apps files to the SD card — that’s the internal SD card and not an external SD card.
- Unplug the Galaxy Nexus from the computer.
- Boot the Galaxy Nexus to the custom recovery mode.
- Take the NANDroid option from the recovery menu.
- Choose to wipe the data from the recovery menu.
- Choose to wipe the caching (optional but recommended).
- Navigate to the ‘Install’ option from the recovery menu. Those running the CWM recovery will get ‘install from the SD card’.
- Browse the SD card and upload the SlimLP custom ROM based on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop.
- Confirm you want to install the ROM.
- Choose the ‘Install’ option from the menu yet again.
- Browse the SD card and install the Google Gapps file.
- Now your device has the latest Android 5.1.1 unofficially running on your device.
- Go back to the main recovery menu and choose to reboot the system from the menu.
- Once your device reboots, you’ll have the ROM running and the Google stock apps working.