OnePlus Two users rejoice as you now have a custom recovery for your lovely Android device. As soon as the bootloader got unlocked on the device, it did not take too long for a custom recovery to become available.
With a custom recovery for your phone, you can do many things that you could not do before. Installing a custom ROM, flashing a custom kernel, backing up your system image – all of these things require you to have a custom recovery. And the guide below teaches you exactly how you can get a custom recovery up and running on your device.
So, if that’s what you wish to do, here’s what you need to do:
Files You Need
- Your bootloader must be unlocked before you can flash a custom recovery on your phone. If you haven’t done so yet, please head to our how to unlock the bootloader on the OnePlus Two tutorial to do that.
- This should install TWRP custom recovery on your phone. Your stock recovery will be replaced by the TWRP Recovery.
- You need a Windows based computer to do this tutorial. Grab anything that supports USB and runs on Windows.
- Make sure that ADB drivers are installed on your computer. Without them, your computer won’t be able to detect your phone.
- Download ADB to your computer. It will help you issue commands to your phone for flashing a recovery.
- Download TWRP Recovery to your computer. This is the actual recovery image that will be flashed on your phone.
Installing TWRP Recovery on the OnePlus Two
- You need to first extract files from ADB over to your computer. To do so, right-click on ADB and select Extract here. It will extract the files for you.
- On your phone, open Settings and then tap on About phone. Tap on Build number for 8 times and your phone will say you are a developer. When it does, go back to Settings.
- Tap on Developer options in Settings and then turn on the option that says USB debugging. It is a must for this option to be enabled for the following steps to work.
- Connect your OnePlus Two to your computer using a USB cable.
- Launch a Command Prompt Window where the ADB files have been extracted. To do so, open the folder where adb.exe is located, hold down Shift on your computer’s keyboard and right-click on your screen and select Open command window here. It will launch a CMD window in your current directory.
- Type in the following command into the Command Prompt Window and press Enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- Your OnePlus Two should reboot into bootloader mode. It has to be in bootloader mode for a custom recovery to be flashed on it.
- Next up, issue the following command using Command Prompt Window. Make sure to replace filename.img with the actual recovery image file name.
fastboot flash recovery filename.img
- Wait for it to flash a custom recovery on your phone.
- When the above procedure’s done flashing a custom recovery, reboot your phone by using the following command:
- Your phone should reboot in normal mode.
- You are done!
A custom recovery has been successfully flashed on your OnePlus Two and you can now follow our how to root the OnePlus Two tutorial to gain root-access on your phone.
You might also be interested in:
- How To Install TWRP Recovery On Samsung Galaxy Grand 2
- How To Root Sony Xperia M4 Aqua On Android 5.0.1
- How To Install Custom Recovery On Sony Xperia M4 Aqua
- How To Unroot Motorola Moto X Style (Pure Edition)
- How To Root Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus On Android 5.1.1
Have something to say? You can contribute to this tech article by leaving a comment below.