Looking to wipe over that stock recovery and equip your Huawei Ascend G7 smartphone with a custom version instead? You can do that now, thanks to Team Win’s TWRP recovery that is available to install on the G7 device. With TWRP recovery, you can use all the same features as your stock recovery offered to recover the device when you need, plus a range of other features like taking a complete backup of your data with just one click of a button.
In addition to taking a complete backup with the NANDroid backup feature, you should find your custom recovery useful in a few months time for when some custom ROMs become available to install.
Here is everything you need to flash your new custom recovery on the G7 device:
Files You Need
- Download the TWRP recovery for the Huawei G7 from this page.
- You will need to install ADB on your computer. Choose from ADB for Mac, ADB for Windows or ADB for Linux.
- You must have an unlocked bootloader on the Huawei Ascend G7 before you can follow this guide and flash a custom recovery on the same.
- You are agreeing to void the Huawei warranty agreements by following this guide and installing a custom recovery image on the Ascend G7 smartphone. You can flash the stock recovery back on the G7 handset and the warranty will start working again.
Installing TWRP Recovery on the Huawei Ascend G7
- Download the TWRP recovery on the computer and have it on the desktop.
- Connect the G7 smartphone to the computer using the USB cable.
- Open the folder where you have ADB and transfer your custom recovery image file to the same folder.
- Hold down the Shift key and right-click the mouse on an empty area within the ADB and recovery folder and choose to open a new command prompt window from the menu.
- Boot the G7 smartphone in bootloader mode by typing the first command in the command line:
adb reboot bootloader
- Now flash your custom recovery by typing the second command:
fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-126.96.36.199.img
- Type the final command in the command prompt window:
adb reboot recovery
- Press the Power button and the Volume Up button at the same time for about 10 seconds. Wait for the G7 to vibrate before releasing the Power button only — continue pressing the Volume Up.
- The Huawei Ascend G7 smartphone should now boot into the TWRP recovery mode and be ready to use.
Once you have the Ascend G7 smartphone booted in the custom recovery mode, you can choose to take your NANDroid Backups immediately. Since there are no custom ROMs for this smartphone yet, that’s all you can do apart from recovering your device. There should be some new custom ROMs to install soon.
The TWRP recovery has replaced your stock G7 recovery until you choose to flash it back again. If you are finding the hardware key method difficult to boot in recovery, you can always install the Quick Boot application that is available from the Google Play Store.