It was just last week that we found out about a working rooting method, a way to unlock the bootloader and flash a custom recovery for the Verizon DROID Turbo smartphone. Now using the guide below, you can learn how to flash a custom ROM on the Verizon DROID Turbo smartphone.
Flashing a custom ROM is a popular choice to make for anyone who wants to update that Android OS phone carrier networks refuse to update in a timely fashion. In addition to getting more timely updates, a custom ROM is popular for anyone who wants to remove the Verizon stock apps that are acting like bloatware on the device. That includes any apps that are carrier installed and you do not use. There is no point having them on the device, since all they are doing is taking away your performance.
Here’s everything you need to get the only currently available custom ROM working on the DROID Turbo handset:
Files You Need
- Download the ComputerFreek custom ROM file from its host on this page.
- You must have the Motorola Droid Turbo bootloader unlocked before you can follow this guide. You can get that done with Sunshine.
- You must have a custom recovery installed on the Motorola DROID Turbo before you can install a custom ROM on the device.
- Understand that modifying an operating system on your Motorola device always comes with risks. We are not responsible for any fried devices that happen after you decide to try modifying your operating system.
Installing a custom ROM on the Verizon Motorola DROID Turbo
- Download the custom ROM for the DROID Turbo from the link above and have it on the desktop of the computer.
- Connect the DROID to the computer with the USB cable and copy the custom ROM to the root of the internal storage SD card.
- Unplug your Motorola DROID from the computer once you have the ROM on your SD card.
- Boot the DROID up in the custom recovery mode. You can use the Quick Boot application from the Google Play Store if you cannot get it working with the hardware keys.
- Tap the ‘Backup’ option and take your NANDroid Backup.
- Tap the Wipe option and wipe the data/factory reset the DROID device.
- You can wipe the cache option from the recovery menu if you want to play it safe.
- Tap the ‘Install’ option from the recovery menu and upload the computerfreek_Unlocked_1.X file from the SD card.
- Swipe and confirm you want to install that computerfreek_Unlocked_1.X file.
- Go back to the main TWRP recovery menu and choose the ‘reboot system now’ option.
Your Verizon Motorola DROID Turbo will now reboot in normal mode and you should see your new ROM loading. You can always go and flash your stock ROM over the custom ROM later if you want to go back to what you had before installing the custom ROM.