The official Sony mobile blog today announced a newer version of the same 4.2 Jelly Bean will be pushed out for both the Xperia Z1 (this years flagship) and the Z Ultra. Both of these devices are brand new; just been released.
For that reason there aren’t exactly any new features in this one, but rather a scheduled maintenance update instead. That likely means bug fixes in other words.
It is then accompanied by the words rolling out, so users can expect to see this one arriving over the air (OTA). Users can wait for the notification to come in automatically. From there they can choose to download and install the new software or opt to leave it for another time. If it is the latter they want they have to navigate over to Settings > About Device and check for software updates.
We recommend everybody take a full backup of the OS before installing any over the air update. The risks are low and most people will not need to lose any data. However, sometimes data loss can occur and if it does there’s no way of getting back data such as the contacts, call logs, SMS texts, photos, videos unless you backed them up before you started.
Here’s all of the inclusions written by the team:
For Xperia Z1
- Tweaked the camera algorithm for even better all round performance
- Refined Sony’s Smart Social Camera platform, so Xperia Camera apps run more smoothly (particularly Burst Mode, Superior Auto, AR Effect and Sweep Panorama…)
For Xperia Z Ultra
- Optimized touch screen sensitivity, for both finger gestures and writing / sketching with pencils, metal pens and selected styluses
For both products, we’ve…
- re-calibrated the display ever so slightly, to ensure viewing experiences remain bright & bold
- Economized power consumption for longer battery life
- Streamlined Exchange connection for faster email sync, display and download
*As usual, timing & availability may vary by market & carrier