While not the most popular device in the world, the One Touch Idol 3 from Alcatel has some handy third-party developers looking after this handset. Not only can you gain root access and install extra apps for increasing the performance, but you can also install a custom recovery which then allows you to flash a custom ROM.
A custom recovery is also your gateway to taking NANDroid backups — by far the best backup option in the world that isn’t available without a custom recovery.
- You must have an unlocked bootloader to follow this guide.
BEFORE WE BEGIN
- You will need a Windows PC and a working USB cable that comes with the handset.
- Furthermore, you should navigate to the Settings > Developer Options and enable the USB Debugging Mode.
- Download the TWRP recovery image from this link.
HOW TO INSTALL TWRP RECOVERY ON THE ALCATEL ONE TOUCH IDOL 3
1. Connect the Alcatel One Touch Idol 3 to the same Windows PC where you have the TWRP file.
2. Open the command prompt windows and get ready to type some code.
3. Here’s the first line: “adb reboot-bootloader.”
4. Press Enter.
5. You should now be in bootloader mode.
6. Type the next command: “fastboot -i 0x1bbb flash recovery twrp-184.108.40.206-idol3.img”.
7. Press Enter.
8. Now, wait it out until the TWRP recovery is flashed. It can take some minutes.