The Helix custom ROM is based on Android 4.4 KitKat and brings with it Android Lollipop sounds and ringtones. The Helix ROM is older than some of the others on offer for Verizon subscribers of the Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone. Don’t install this if you are wanting to use it for its Android Lollipop features. There are much better options available. With that being said, Helix is a nice ROM on its own right and comes with better performance than the stock ROM, and it’s slim.
Files You Need
- Download the Helix custom ROM file from here.
- The instructions you will find in this guide are for people using the TWRP custom recovery and a Windows computer. You can expect the wording and steps to vary slightly if you are using a different computer operating system or custom recovery. ClockworkMod Recovery comes with the same features, but the buttons come with unique labels.
Installing the Helix custom ROM on the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5
- Download the Helix ROM file from the files section above and copy it over to the desktop of the computer from its default downloads folder.
- Connect the Samsung Galaxy S5 handset to the computer with the USB cable.
- Copy the Helix ROM file (still zipped) over to the internal storage SD card and make sure it’s sitting in the root of the SD card — keeping it in the topmost folder.
- Unplug your Big Red Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone from the computer once you have it on the SD card.
- Turn off the S5 smartphone by long-pressing the Power button and then root it in recovery mode.
- Choose the option to take a complete backup from your recovery menu and it will take the NANDroid backup for your device.
- Choose the option to wipe your data and then factory reset the Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone by tapping on the ‘Wipe’ button.
- Choose the option to install your Helix ROM file by tapping on the ‘Install’ button.
- Browse the SD card for the Helix ROM zip file and follow the rest of the on-screen instructions to have it installed on your smartphone.
- Choose the option to reboot the system now from the main recovery menu and your S5 handset will now reboot back to normal mode where you will see the new ROM loading.
In conclusion, that’s how to install the Helix custom ROM on the Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone for the Big Red subscribers. You can always change your mind and flash a different custom ROM by following the same steps above. Likewise, you can flash the stock ROM, but you do that from the Odin flashing tool for Samsung devices and not from your recovery mode.