The Alcatel One Touch Idol 3 is one of the phones that comes with its bootloader locked. What that means is that you need to first unlock your bootloader before you can flash a custom recovery or root your phone.
Well, unlocking the bootloader on the aforementioned device is as easy as issuing a couple of commands using a command prompt window. As soon as you’ve entered the given commands, the bootloader on your phone should be unlocked and your phone should be ready to be flashed with a custom recovery – which ultimately leads you to rooting your phone.
So, here’s how you can do that on your phone:
Files You Need
- This tutorial’s been written keeping a Windows computer in mind. You can, however, do it on a Linux or Mac if know how to get these commands to run on these OSes.
- Download and install Alcatel USB drivers on your Windows computer. Linux and Mac users don’t need drivers.
- Download Fastboot to your computer. You’ll use it to issue commands to your phone.
- This tutorial should erase all the data stored on your phone. So, please backup anything that you think is important for you.
Unlocking the Bootloader on the Alcatel One Touch Idol 3
- Unzip files from Fastboot to your computer by right-clicking on it and selecting Extract here.
- Unlock Developer options on your phone by heading to Menu->Settings->About phone and tapping on Build number for 7-8 times until it says you’re a developer.
- Head back to Settings and tap on Developer options. Turn on the USB debugging option.
- Plug in your phone to your computer using a USB cable.
- Open a Command Prompt Window in the folder where Fastboot files are located. To do so, hold down Shift and right-click anywhere on your screen and select Open command window here.
- Type in the following command into the CMD window and press Enter:
fastboot -i 0x1bbb devices
- You should see your device listed in the window.
- Then, issue the following command:
fastboot -i 0x1bbb oem device-info
- It should tell you that your bootloader status is locked.
- Issue the following command to unlock the bootloader:
fastboot -i 0x1bbb oem unlock
- Your bootloader should now be unlocked.
- Type in the following command and press Enter:
fastboot -i 0x1bbb oem device-info
- You should see that it now says your bootloader is unlocked (it used to be locked).
- Enter the following command to reboot your phone:
fastboot -i 0x1bbb reboot
- Your phone should reboot.
- You’re all set!
The bootloader on your Alcatel One Touch Idol 3 is now unlocked. That means you can now go ahead and install a custom recovery on your phone which will then let you gain root-access on phone.
You might also be interested in:
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Motorola Moto G (2015) Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Spice Dream Uno Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei MediaPad X2 Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Huawei Honor 7 Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Google Nexus 6P Smartphones
- How to Unlock Bootloader on Verizon Motorola DROID Turbo Smartphones
You can subscribe to our RSS, follow us on Twitter or like our Facebook page to keep on consuming more tech.
December 10, 2016 @ 03:53
I tried this but when issue the command (fastboot -i 0x1bbb oem unlock) it tells me invalid command am I not doing it correctly the command to put it in the bootloader works flawlessy and adb sees my device but it does not accept that command at all. Any help at all you can give me would be greatly appreciated
December 10, 2016 @ 04:13
Try the following command and see if that works for you – fastboot oem unlock
December 13, 2016 @ 15:55
I tried that as well and the help menu launches