Finish the steps to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195H smartphone so you can start installing root-requiring apps like the Titanium Backup app, flash custom ROMs like the CyanogenMod custom ROM, and install custom kernels so you can easily overclock your device.
Chainfire’ CF-Auto-Root exploit for the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini in this post is based on Android 4.4.2 KitKat and the KOT49H.I9195HUBUCNH1. You do not need to be running that same KOT49H.I9195HUBUCNH1 at all. It is there for you to use as an indicator only. Some Samsung devices will not flash the older images.
Files You Need
- You must have the updated CF-Auto-Root file for the S4 Mini GT-I9195H from this page.
- Download the Odin flashing tool for the S4 Mini GT-I91995H from this page.
- Download the universal ADB Driver for your Windows computer from this page.
- You must have a Windows PC to follow this guide or else the Odin flashing tool will not work.
- Choosing to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini smartphone will void the Samsung warranty. You can get the S4 Mini GT-I9195H’s warranty working again by flashing a stock ROM on the device. Stock ROM’s are usually model number specific, so make sure you flash the right ROM back on your device to avoid bricking.
- You can only use this guide on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini that has the GT-I9195H model number. Following this guide on a different model number in the S4 Mini’s range like the GT-I9195L will probably brick the device according to the developer. You can check your model number by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Model Number.
Rooting the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195H running on Android 4.4.2 KitKat
- Unlock the hidden Developer Options menu on the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini by tapping on the Menu > Settings > About Device > Build Number 7 times.
- Enable the USB Debugging from the Developer Options menu you just unlocked on the S4 Mini by tapping on the Menu > Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging Mode.
- Download and extract the Odin and rooting exploit to your computer by right-clicking on them once they are on the desktop and choosing the “extract here” from the menu.
- Double-click the Odin executable file on the desktop so it opens up and is running.
- Turn off the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195H by long-pressing the Power button for around 10 seconds.
- Reboot the S4 Mini GT-I9195H by pressing the Volume Down + Home + Power button combination to get it in download mode.
- Connect the S4 Mini GT-I9195H device to the computer with the USB cable.
- Wait for the ID: COM port to turn a green color, showing that your universal ADB Driver is working for your Samsung connection.
- Do not many any changes from the Odin default settings, including the re-partition, Auto Reboot and F reset Time boxes.
- Click the AP or the PDA button that is available from your Odin flashing tool’s user-interface.
- Upload the CF-Auto-Root-serranolte-serranoltewa-gti9195h.tar.md5 file that is on the desktop.
- Click the Start button and wait for the Odin flashing tool to root the S4 Mini GT-I9195H device with Chainfire’s CF-Auto-Root exploit.
- Check out the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini’s display and look for when it says it is restoring the stock recovery, cleaning up and then reboot in 10 seconds.
The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini should now reboot automatically in the recovery mode for you. Anyone who has a device that does not get in recovery mode by itself must do that by using the hardware buttons. Turn off the S4 Mini and reboot it by holding the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons at the same time and it will get in recovery mode.